Chapter 3

I know I said I would do it at dinner but I got cold feet. So now Leigh-Anne was walking to her parents' room around nine p.m. She had had her bath already and was in pyjamas, ready for bed. My bed time is at ten though.

When she arrived close to the door she took a deep breath. Now Leigh-Anne you've got to sound convincing. You've got to go in there and present your points and then demand for what you should already have. All of her friends had phones and yet she never even noticed that she didn't. Probably the only one in the entire school without one. Kids these days were so forward.

The girl peeped into the room and hoped that her folks were in a good mood. They seemed happy at dinner. She smiled when she saw that only her mother was there. I should be able to butter her up. Having her dad alone in the room would be just as easy but when they were together they took longer to give an answer. Okay Leigh-Anne, do your thing.

Leigh knocked on the open door softly and waited for a response.

Her mum was looking at something on her phone. She looked up and saw Leigh at the door so smiled. "Come in Lee-Lee."

Leigh-Anne walked in and stood before her. "Hi Mum."

Her mother put her phone to her side and removed her glasses from off her face. "Hello. What brings you over here sweetheart?" She started tapping her lap.

Leigh-Anne went and sat on her. "I just . . . wanted to ask you something before I went to bed."

Her mum scooted herself more onto the bed. She was sitting on the edge. She adjusted Leigh on her and hummed a little in thought. "And what might that be?"

Okay Leigh-Anne. You practiced this. This is the most important thing that you will ever do so don't screw it up. Jesy really went and asked her for a phone number today and she had nothing to offer! That was the worst thing that could ever happen to a person. Did Jesy ever ask people for their numbers on a regular basis? On the first day she came, everyone had been asking for her number and she gave it to them. She doesn't ever ask. But she asked me. Her heart kept doing kicks and all day she had been thinking of names for her and Jesy's children. Jesy would look so cute with a big belly. She just wondered how exactly it would work. Yeah I don't really know where babies come from. She would ask her sister later.

"I . . ." Oh Gosh. I can't think. It's too much pressure. "Can I . . . have a . . . phone?" Wait there was supposed to be a better build up! "Wait no!" She sat on one of her mum's thighs and faced her. "Everyone in my class has a phone and I feel left out." That was one point. What were the others? "If I get lost I'd need to call you." And lastly. "I want to make new friends. I-I was talking to a girl today and she asked me for my number and I don't have a phone so I couldn't tell her. Please can I have one? I just . . . I need one Mum." She looked into the eyes of her mother and folded her lips.

The mother blinked a couple of times. "A phone?"

Oh no. She's already questioning me. "Mhmm. I need one Mum. I'm old enough. I'm practically a grown woman."

That made her mother laugh. "A grown woman?? You?" She was dying.

Leigh-Anne's shoulders fell and she felt bad. Why is she laughing so much? "But Mum I am. I'm already in year fi-" As she spoke her mother's laughter grew louder.

"If you're a grown woman then what am I? Ancient?"

"Well . . ." Leigh did not want to insult her but she had to tell the truth didn't she? "Well you are pretty old. Sairah says you're nearly forty Mum."