Chapter 16

For lunch that day, Leigh was having a cheese sandwich made with whole-wheat bread.

"But the lunch on sale is much more filling than that Chubs. Just let me buy it for you." Jesy said while staring at what her friend had in her hands to eat.

Leigh-Anne shook her head with her mouth full. She swallowed. "They've got subs selling. It's basically the same thing Jesy." She was sitting at a cafeteria table at Jesy's side.

Jesy looked at the girl eat and felt guilt hurt her. It's been so long and yet still her mum hasn't gotten another job it seems.

Today marked the first day of June as well as one of the last days of school. A lot had happened since Leigh's mum had lost it and slapped the girl and one of those things included the mother losing her job.

A lot of kids said she was abusive for what she did and they told their parents too. There was just a call for her to be released and so she ended up resigning. Jesy remembered the day that Leigh-Anne had told her that her mother was leaving her job. It had been quite terrible because Leigh had been crying and saying it was her fault. It's never Chubs' fault. It was mine. Jesy was the one who couldn't help but dance with Leigh-Anne and kiss her. Poor Leigh got punished so badly and on top of that her mother lost her job for it.

Based on what Leigh-Anne was saying, her home life did not seem so sound. Her parents kept arguing and her sisters had to work extra. Sian often took double shifts on her job and Sairah got a part-time job to help out even thought their parents had told her not to. A week ago, Leigh's dad just finished following some classes in order to take an exam which would allow him qualifications for a better job than the one he had. Her mother was searching for a place to work. It was kind of difficult for her since the way she ended up having to leave her old job did not look good in the slightest. Especially since news spread quick that her daughter was gay. Jesy's parents were not happy with Jesy about it either.

Jesy watched Leigh sadly as the girl ate her small lunch. I've been buying her lunch ever since she told me about how hard things have been. She wanted to keep buying Leigh lunch but today the girl had told her not to. She guessed it was a pride thing. Jade had told her that Leigh probably didn't like that she was buying stuff for her all the time because it most likely made Leigh feel awkward and ashamed. The whole school knew her situation by now. Everyone just assumed that she was poorer than before since her mother lost her job. A lot felt sorry like their classmates who were being nicer while others were just mean about it. Perrie was one of the mean ones.

"Do you at least want my drink?" Jesy held up her juice box. "It's packed with vitamin C." She tried a smile.

Leigh-Anne looked at her sadly. I love that Jesy cares but it feels really odd knowing that she feels sorry for me. She wanted to come to school and not feel as if things were hard but every time she came here she was reminded of it based on how people treated her. "It's okay. I've got my own juice." She held up her bottle. "Well . . . it's water but you get it."

Jesy gulped. She often stayed up at night thinking of how badly off things at Leigh's house were. Every time she thought she would imagine Leigh starving and crying. I haven't been sleeping well at all. "But juice is better for you."

Leigh sighed. "Jesy it's okay." She smiled. "Let's talk about something else shall we?" She giggled. "Soon it's going to be your birthday."

Jesy didn't even care about that. "Oh . . . oh yeah . . . wait!" She suddenly cared as she remembered something. She opened up a part of her lunch bag to get something and showed it to Leigh-Anne. "Here."

Leigh saw Jesy holding a card. She took it up and opened it.

Jesy was smiling as she watched Leigh's eyes scan the paper.