Chapter 22

Jade woke up when she felt a soft hand pat at her cheek. "I'm not gay!" She shouted as she awoke with a start. She was not sure of the time of day or where she was. The girl did not even know what had been happening before. "I-I . . ." Her eyes adjusted and she saw her mother. Shit . . . What had she just shouted out? Shit! "Oh . . ." She began to try to laugh to cover it up.

Mrs. Thirlwall had an eyebrow raised. She seemed to be trying to understand what Jade meant a while ago. "What did you say? What were you just dreaming of Pickle?"

"Ehhh . . ." Ehhhh . . . She had a short flashback to her dream which made her cheeks hot red. No. Now why would she be dreaming of f*cking Perrie before Leigh came and joined in till it turned into a three sum? I have no idea. It had probably just been random. Makes no sense with my character. Heheheheheheh . . . "Heheheheheh . . ."

The mother was now frowning. "Darling why are you laughing?"

Jade cleared her throat. From the looks of things, it seemed it was evening time. She could hear pots clanging from the kitchen which meant that someone was cooking in there. Mam hadn't been home when we came. Their mom was dressed in her regular mom outfit. A plain shirt and sweat pants. The only thing which was different was that she had her hair in a ponytail. That indicated to Jade why their mom had not been in. I hadn't even noticed. The woman had clearly had errands today. She always did on a Monday. "I'm not em . . ." She turned behind her and noticed that she was still partially on Jesy. Jesy was lying on her back with closed eyes, seeming dead to the world. "When did you come in Mam?" Half her mind worried that Jesy had somehow died in her sleep. Shouldn't she be awake now with all the talking and movement?

"I came around two sweetheart. And I met you and Jes-Jes here when I did." Their mom sat on the centre table.

"The girls are up?" Mr. Thirlwall found himself in the living room. "Hey Jadey . . . why's Jes still asleep?" He was drying a pot where he stood.

"Guess she's really tired." Jade rubbed Jesy's cheek then sneakily checked if she was breathing by placing her finger under her nose while stroking her face. Thank God.

"Mhmm . . . is that why the two of you were home when I came in? I would have woken you but you seemed so peaceful. Is everything alright hun?" She sounded concerned and their dad looked the part.

Jade plastered on a smile. "Yeah, yeah. Jesy em . . . just felt really ill at school and one of her friends drove us home. I decided to stay with her to take care of her but I guess the both of us fell asleep while we were here." She hoped that they would leave now. "We just kind of over did it I guess."

The parents did not seem to believe that it was as simple as Jade stated it. They shared a look. Jade and Jesy didn't just come home randomly. If Jesy was really sick then they would have known from the morning how the girl felt. Jesy usually told them if she was feeling sniffly or if her stomach hurt. And if they did not find out at breakfast, they would have been called when the girls left school.

"What's wrong with her Jade?" The father came in further and tapped his eldest on the forehead. "Jes?"

Jade gulped as she tried to think of something that could be wrong. "She . . . you know how periods are unpredictable sometimes. Hers came today and she just felt too bloated and out of it to really keep up." She made a sorry face for Jesy then shook her head while patting the girl's shoulder. "That's why she can't get up it seems. It makes we girls really tired doesn't it Mam? Or have you stopped seeing yours- I mean . . ." She saw how offended their mom looked. "Ehem . . . anyway, I'll just be taking her to me room so if yous could just get back to your lives so I can- yes thank you . . ." She got up and proceeded to try to wake Jesy. "Come on Jes. Let's head upstairs so you can be more comfy."