Chapter 15

The school dance was a few weeks away now. All students were excited for it and many had bought their dresses already.

"It's cute to know that Jade is coming too. Is she going with a group of friends or just you?" Leigh-Anne asked Jesy where they sat together in the library. It was recess time. They had eaten quickly before so that they could have true alone time here.

Jesy was smiling. "Just me. She says that no one in her class is of a high enough IQ level to be her friend. She'd wanted to be friends with Perrie but . . ." She rolled her eyes now. "We all know how that story goes. Little meanie."

Leigh-Anne huffed as she thought about that annoying little girl. That kid just would not stop messing with her. Can't believe she's gotten her whole class to call me names. Perrie kept saying she was poor and making fun of her things. It was not just her lunch bag but also her school bag and even her shoes. I'd tell but . . . I'm trying to be more mature. "Well I hope she has fun."

"Yeah me too. Can't imagine her enjoying being at a loud dance though." Jesy laughed. She then pointed at the book Leigh had on the desk. "How far have you gotten?"

Leigh-Anne giggled. "I'm half-way. It's taking me a while since it's so long and way more complex than the stories I'm used to."

Jesy nodded. "I still don't get how you people enjoy reading so much."

"It's really great. How far have you gotten in the book I lent you Jesy?" Leigh-Anne had finally been able to give Jesy one of her books to read.

Jesy rubbed the back of her neck as she laughed sheepishly. "I'm not that far. Just on chapter five out of twenty chapters."

Leigh-Anne commended her. "That's good. You're a fast reader Jesy. Do you like it?" She asked with bright eyes.

Jesy nodded. "It's okay. I'd rather watch it as a movie though."

Leigh-Anne laughed. "Movies sometimes leave out the best parts as well as relevant details. I can tell you all about that. I once watched a movie based on a book I read and it was a thumbs-down."

Jesy could not imagine that. "Movies are better aren't they?"

Leigh giggled. "Nope. They could never be." She stroked the book close by her. "You know . . ."

Jesy had been thinking of what book could be better than any movie but was now listening to Leigh.

"The dance sounds like a lot of fun and all but it's also going to be sad because . . . we won't be able to slow dance on the dance floor to show our relationship off to everyone like other people." Leigh scratched at the book spine with eyes on her lap.

Jesy sighed. "Yeah well . . . it comes with being the way that we are I guess."

Leigh-Anne nodded. "Are kids even allowed to go outside while the dance is in session? I heard people saying that they won't allow it this year because it got out of hand last time. Something about secondary schoolers introducing primary schoolers to drugs."

Jesy blinked. "What? That happened?"

"It's what I heard." Leigh shrugged. "So now I'm not sure if we'd even be able to leave to have our special dance outside." She pouted.

Jesy's face fell. "What but . . . that's not fair."

"I know but it is how it is." Leigh sighed. "At least we'd be together." She smiled. "Have you gotten your dress as yet?"

Jesy nodded with a smile though she was still upset about what Leigh revealed to her. "It's pink and I really like it. My mum picked it out and she showed me how she'd do my hair. I really can't wait to look like a princess."