How Motherly of You

“So umm… what now?” Cori asked finally breaking the silence.

“I need to tell my husband.” Bey said standing up.

“Are you sure?” Cori asked her.

“I have to. Like right now.” Bey said walking to the door and unlocking it.

“Wait!”

“What is it?” Bey said turning around.

“He doesn’t like me.” Cori said.

“Excuse me?”

“I said he doesn’t like me. Do you know how many time he said ‘We aren’t your parents and this isn’t your home.’? Because he said it a lot. He doesn’t want me here. Maybe this was a bad idea. Maybe I should have gone with Marcus.” Cori said looking at the floor.

“Look.” Bey said walking back to her. “Jay isn’t stupid. I’m sure he knows something is up. Knowing him, he probably put two and two together already.”

Cori just looked at her.

“And Jay doesn’t have a problem with you, he just doesn’t know you.”

“You don’t know me either.”

“But I gave birth to you. I know you more than he does.”

“I guess I can give you that.”

“So I’m going to go tell him. Okay?”

Cori nodded.

Bey started walking to the door, when she opened it, Jay was standing there.

“Fuck.”

“What?” Jay asked.

“How long hace you been standing there?”

Cori got up and walked to the door. She just stood there.

“Not long. Not even two seconds. Why?”

Cori looked visibly relieved and so did Beyoncé.

“Did you have something to tell me?” Jay asked.

“Umm” Bey said. She stopped after the umm and looked at Cori who had her head down. “Actually I do. Cori—” Cori interrupted them, “Wants to go shopping tomorrow, but she” pointing to Bey, “says it’s a bad idea because of all the paparazzi and fans and stuff like that.” Bey just looked at her like she was crazy, but went along with it. If Cori had Bey’s back why wouldn’t Bey have hers? Exactly.

“Well I don’t see the problem; just have the driver take you. And take Julius.” Jay said.

“I guess.” Bey said.

“Great! So what time do we leave?” Cori asked while smiling.

“11ish.” Bey said.

“Great. Well, I’m going to take a shower.” Jay said turning around.

“Wait, why did you come down here?” Bey asked.

“Because I was going to record a song. But I can do it later, I’m kind of tired.” He said turning back around and walking off. Bey closed the door and turned to look at Cori.

“Cori.”

“What! I panicked.” She said looking down.

“Why do you do that?” Bey asked her.

“Do what?”

“Keep your head down?”

“It’s a habit I guess.”

“Well fix it, you are a beautiful young lady, there is no reason to be walking around with your head down. Ever.” Bey said lifting Cori’s chin so she was looking up. “You hear me?”

“Yes.”

“Great.”

“So can I go to sleep now?” Cori asked her.

“Oh no.” Bey said with a smirk.

“What? Why not?”

“Because I was going to tell Jay something very important, but you interrupted us and made up a lie because you “panicked”.

“So you’re going to deprive me of my sleep?” Cori asked with a slight attitude.

“Go clean the kitchen.”

“What!”

“Go clean the kitchen, you know how to wash dishes, you know how to mop a floor, you know how to push chairs in and clean the table with Windex.” Bey said.

“That’s not fair Bey.” Cori said as she crossed her arms.

“No. What’s not fair is me lying to my husband about you being my daughter because you aren’t ready for him to know.” Bey said mocking Cori’s arm placement.

“How motherly of you.” Cori retorted while rolling her eyes.

“Get used to it bumble bee.”

Cori rolled her eyes again.

“Cori, I don’t know you well enough to beat that ass of yours, but if you roll your eyes at me one more time, I’m gone hit you so hard that your eyes will be stuck like that until you have sex so good that it rolls them back in place.” Bey said looking Cori straight in the eyes.

“You’re crazy.” Cori said walking towards the door.

“Go clean the kitchen.”

“I’m on it.”