Lesson Learned

Cori POV

Did my mom seriously just kick me out? She did. She really kicked me out. Beyoncé Knowles-Cater just kicked me, her daughter, out of her house… Is she serious? She’s just gonna leave me here in the streets? By myself?

I sat down on the side of the street and kept thinking about it. “What could I have possibly said that was so offensive she felt the need to fly us all the way out to Houston and leave me here?” I said out loud.

 I was talking to myself because I didn’t have anyone else to talk to. “Okay, I know what I said. But she didn’t have to kick me out.” I said rubbing my temples.

I groaned and stood up. I folded the money I still had in my hand, put it in my back pocket and started walking. It wasn’t dark outside, maybe 4 in the afternoon at the latest.

I started walking and noticed this car following me from a distance. I kept walking but I looked back every few seconds. I tried to see who was in the car but I couldn’t because the windows were tented. “Fucking great.” I said. “Where is Jay when I need him?” I asked myself as I continued walking.

As I was walking I started to see more and more people. It must be around 5. I heard my stomach growl and I sighed. I stopped right on my tracks and looked around. There was a Holiday Inn across the street. Bingo.

I looked both way before crossing the street and when it was clear I crossed it. I saw the car. “Who the fuck is that?” I said walking past it and trying to look in. I can’t see shit. Ugh!

I walked into the hotel and to the front desk. As soon as I said “Excuse me.” She looked up.

“OMG, you’re Beyoncé’s daughter.” She said.

“Yes I am.” I said smiling. Maybe if I’m nice enough she’ll give me a free room.

“You’re so pretty. I love your mom’s music.” She said.

“Thanks.”

“Is she with you by any chance?” She asked looking around.

“Umm. No she’s not. She went somewhere. But she’ll be back soon enough.” I said.

She nodded and went on to talk about how much my mom changed her life. I was half listening. I looked outside while she was talking and saw the car at the door. “Alright. That’s it.” I thought to myself. The girl was still talking.  

“Yeah, I feel you. Hey, do you have some paper I can use?” I asked.

“Anything for you.” She said looking around the desk. She grabbed a piece of paper and handed me a pen as well.

“Thank you.” I said. I looked really hard and wrote the licenses plate number down. It was ‘J12B9A4’ “Can I get a room for one please?” I asked.

“Sure.” She said. She started typing on the computer and the she stopped. “How long are you planning on staying?” She asked.

“Just over night.” I said smiling.

“$92.” She said.

I frowned. I guess I was being nice for nothing. I pulled out a hundred dollar bill and handed it to her. She gave me my change and handed me a room key. “Enjoy your stay.” She said.

I nodded and walked to the elevator and pressed the button that had 3 on it. When the elevator started escalating I smiled and started singing.

 “We escalate, up in this bitch like elevators

Of course sometimes shit go down when it's a billion dollars on an elevator

Of course sometimes shit go down when it’s a billion dollars on an elevator”