Chapter 18

When I wake up I wake up to complete darkness. The branches of the willow tree that I am laying under still sways silently to a warm, summer wind. The grass underneath me is flattened out but slowly begins to sprout up as I sit up.

     It's the middle of the night. I wonder if anyone is looking for me or if Bella or Tris didn't even report me running off to Finnick. If they did then most likely they all will be looking for me, because, according to Beetee, I am a valuable asset to the Rebellion now. If they loose their key then there is no way out of this place.

    When I stand up, I immediately feel the pain from where Tris punched me. I quickly grip my side and slowly raise the edge of my shirt up. A deep blue and purple bruise covers almost half of my left rib cage. I let my shirt drop down to my side,and try walking. It feel fine when I walk, but I can still feel a slight pain radiating from it.

     I begin walking back to the Victors Village. You can barely see the ground because of how well it blends in with the darkness. I have to watch every step I take in order to keep from tripping over some objects that stick out of the ground.

     I begin to regret trying to slap Tris. She didn't do anything to me. All it was was me being angry that everyone expects me to be someone I am not. I want to be who I want to be, not who they want me to be. But whether or not I want to be their tool, I already am. I'm practically being forced into this, because I know that it is the most selfless thing to do. I guess Beetee was right. I am selfless....., or at least a little.

     By the time I make it back to the Victors Village, my legs just start to turn weak. I'm still tired from all that has happened but I should be better after a few more hours sleep. No one is in sight when I walk through the gates. All the lights are off in all the houses except mine. I suspect that Bella and Tris aren't the only ones that are home.

     I don't even think about turning back as I open the door. I may as well confront them now, because I'm going to have to sooner or later. Over at the table sits Bella and Tris. Tris is holding some ice to her jaw where I punched her, and Bella just stares at the table. It isn't until I look over at the sofa in the living room where Finnick sits comfortably with an angry look on his face.

     "Alex, can you come with me please?" Finnick says standing up. It sounded more like an order than a question.

     I follow Finnick down the hallway to my bedroom and he opens the door for me. I walk inside and just turn around and stare at him, waiting for him to start yelling at me. He shuts the door quietly and stares at me for a moment with his arms crossed. I cross me arms in front of me and just wait. I can't show no vulnerability for what I did not matter how wrong it was.

     "Why did you punch Tris, Alex?" he says calmly.

     "Because I can't stand people eyeballing me. I didn't ask for this Finnick!"

     "Is that your only reason?"

     "Yes!"

     "She says that you clawed her in the face this morning."

     "Only because she was shaking me! It's not about Tris, Finnick!"

     I'm raising my voice now yet Finnick stays completely calm. I wonder how he even doesn that?

     "Alex," he begins. "Remember who the real enemy is."

     "What?" I say confused. The enemy?

     "Remember who the real enemy is." he says slower.

     It takes me moment to realize what he's talking about. The enemy....the enemy is Snow. Instead of wanting to take all my anger out on Snow, I took it out on Tris. If only I figured it out sooner the maybe I wouldn't of hit her.