Chapter 14

Finnick leads us down a long hallway and into a huge room full of technological equipment. Computers of all types sit on long tables, and cords are running everywhere along the floor. Around 20 people are sitting at the computers typing in fast and swift motions. They look as if they are slaping the keyboards.

"Watch your step." Finnick warns us as he points large groups of wires trailing along the floor.

We walk around all the tables with computers on them to a door on the other side. Finnick opens the door for us and we all walk into a almost dark room with eerie,blue lights the only thing lighting the room up. We see a man with thick-lensed glasses sitting at a computer typing. When he finally gets a change to look up, he smiles at us and stands.

"Welcome to the original District 12. My name is Beetee and I am in charge of the technological area of this building." he says. he looks over at Finnick and says, "Have you told them about the documents yet and the tube."

"I thought I would leave that to you." he says plainly.

Beetee walks over to his desk and puts all his papers away and takes out something out of one of the drawers. He turns off the blue lights, leaving us in the dark, then turns on the lights. I wince at how bright the lights are but quickly recover.

Beetee stands before us with a plain expression and begins speaking.

"Just recently, one of our spies had found a tube over at the Capitol in President Snow 's office. This tube has been examined and studied for the past few weeks and we believe to have found the use for this tube, and we would like to test each and every one of you to try to activate it." He turns around and takes the object and holds it up for us to see. The tube is solid blue with a light blue eye symbol on the end with a ring around it. There is a small hole in the center of the cylinder like tube that looks like it's used to insert something.

"This tube," Beetee says, "can do something that we have never yet seen before. The only way to activate it is by dropping the blood of a true fandom into this hole." He says while pointing to the hole in the center of the tube.

"How do you know all of this?" Peeta says amongst the rest of us.

"I found a way to hack into the President 's files and found a document on a tube that is to open a door to another world or worlds. It is said that when you activate the tube using the blood, you can press this button and move across space by thought." Beetee says while pointing to a small dark gray button on the side of the tube.

"Thought?" Edward says confused. This seems too much for all of us. It doesn't even make any sense how this is even possible.

"When you are to press the button, you have to think upon where you want to go."

"Go where? All that's left is Panem." Tris says.

"Apparently not. There seems to be other worlds out there and this tube will get us there."

We all go silent. If there is another place other than Panem, I want to be there. I don't want to stay here any longer.

"When can we start." I say, my eyebrows slightly furrowed.

"Now." Beetee says with a smile.

He pushes his glasses back up on the top of his nose and tells us to follow him. On our way out Finnick walks off in a different direction and we are led through another door to a large room filled with microscopes, testing tubes, and a whole bunch of chemicals. I wish I knew how they got all this stuff here in this tiny building without being caught in the other districts. It's amazing really how much effort they have put into this.

Beetee tells us to line up against the wall and we do. He motions for Bella to sit, but she quickly has to explain that both her and Edward don't have any blood so they are quickly dismissed and told to head back to their homes or look around. The next one is Tris who doesn't hesitate sitting down in the chair that was already set out and having a needle plunged into the base of her forearm. We all watch carefully as blood is sucked up into the needle and he pulls it out. He dismisses her after putting a bandaid on the place where the needle was inserted and she leaves without a word.

For the rest of the time I just watch as the tributes take turns sitting in the chair and having samples of their blood taken from them and leave silently.