Chapter 28

We walk through the Factionless streets. Run-down buildings surround us, some of them collapsed underneath a thick layer of dust and ash. It reminds me of the old District 12 by the way it looks. The sun shines above us and sends rays of light down on us, but it doesn't make these stone buildings radiant and beautiful like the ones around the other factions.

We all wonder around every street corner with Hazel leading the way. She seems to be the only one who knows where to go. My legs are tired and week. That pill the Edward gave me earlier definately helped. It not only relieved the pain, but stopped it completely with no sign of weakness in it. This is one time I really wish I could thank Beetee for sending us those.

"They're in here." Hazel says, pointing to an old abandoned house. It looks empty on the outside, but I can see little flickers of light inside.

We step over some fallen bricks as we squeeze through the small enterance. The place is a mess. There are papers, cans, and dust covering the floor, and it smells like human waste. The place is made of brick and stone with concrete flooring. It looks like it's going to collapse into one large pile on top of us but its frame seems pretty sturdy.

We follow Hazel through the house and down into the basement. Everything seems a lot cleaner and fresher, but, even though it is the middle of summer, it freezing. Candles light up the whole room in random places. Some are sitting on old shelves or are scattered on the floor with wide distances between each other. Katniss, Leisel, and Peeta sit in front of a flickering candle trying to warm their chilled hands.

"Alex?" Katniss says as she looks up at us.

"Alex!!!" Leisel says as she springs up and runs over to me, wrapping her thin, cold arms around me.

"Yes. Are you ok?" I ask Leisel who looks up and smiles at me.

"Yes. Evelyn has been taking care of us until you arrived." she says will a smile still plastered on her face. I smile at her but look up just as Katniss says something.

"Who are they?" she says looking over at someone behind me.

I turn around and notice what she's talking about. The rest of Tobias and Tris's friends stand there with them next to them. I almost completely forgot about them. I don't even remember Tris and Tobias getting off the train nevermind them. I guess I was too caught up in figuring out how to break into Jeanine's office.

"This is Will, Christina, Uriah, and Zeke." I say pointing to each of them.

Katniss and Peeta stand and shake hands with each of them. They seem fine with another group of people to weigh us down, but I know that they will be of great use to us somehow, plus, we need the help. More people means the bigger the threat against Jeanine Matthews and President Snow espicially if the people who are against them are from different worlds. They don't know their limits or weaknesses meaning that they can be used as a weapon against them.

"What is the plan now?" Leisel asks me. Her arms are still wrapped around my waist tightly and the look of comfort is clear on her face. I would have thought she would of ran for Bella rather than me since she has known her longer and she also seems a lot more likable than I am.

I look over at Hazel who eyeballs me in such a way that makes me cringe. She knows that if I allow my plan to work, I will risk not only my life but everyone elses life too. That is something even I refuse to do. I can't let anyone especially Leisel, who is so young and so gentile, to die at my hands.

" I'm still working on it, but I promise you, Leisel, " I say taking her face in my hands. " We will be alright."

She gives me a hopeful smile and replies, "I know."