Chapter 21

"Dauntless" I whisper breathely as I watch Tris come back to her seat on the end.

     "I didn't know what to choose." Tris quickly explains, leaning over to look at me.

     I look at the seat in front of me and think on what to do. There is only one thing to really do, because we can't split up. If we split up then the whole thing could go down and Beetee and Finnick distinctly said to not split up no matter what unless we truly have to. This is one time we aren't despirate. Hopefully the Dauntless are in close contact with the Erudite

     "Ok." I finally say. "Ok, we have to all choose Dauntless."

     Everyone nods just as Bella's name is called. She gets up and looks at me with worry. I nod and smile slightly and she does the same before walking quickly down the steps leading to the stage at the bottom. When she receives the knife, she holds her wrist up so the blood doesn't drip and tries to act a little nervous which makes the balancing of her wrist not an act of holding the blood, but by an act of being nervous or anxious. She walks over to the bowls and slowly pulls back her sleeve just enough to cut. She pretends to cut her skin with the knife with some of the blood coming onto the knife for the act, and turns her wrist over onto the coals. I begin to worry about the blood not dripping until I see one small drop sizel onto the lit coals. Everyone claps and all of the Dauntless cheer for her as she smiles on her way back to her seat. I give her a small smile to tell her that she had done well. It actually looked like she cut her wrist from this angle. Maybe the ones standing on the stage didn't notice anything.

     When she returns to her seat, Edward takes her hand with the one that doesn't have my blood on it and holds it tight. Immediately after Bella came Edward, who did as well as Bella did, then Peeta, Katniss, Hazel, Tobias, Leisel, who had problems when she came on stage because she didn't look like a 16 year old but somehow pulled it off, same went for Rudy but never had any problems because of his height, then me.

     When the last 16-year-old leaves the stage, we are dismissed. We all wonder what to do and where to go next since we don't want to drive suspicion, we try to act at least a little calm about it.

     The Dauntless start yelling as everyone starts leaving then starts running for some stairs that lead up to the roof. We tag along behind them and jog our way up the steps to a flat rooftop.

     The sun shines brightly above us. When I step over towards the ledge, I can see the entire city. There are tall building made of stone, but they all don't reach as high as the building we stand upon. In the distance I can see a ferris wheel. Not once have I ever seen one, but I have heard about them. Before North America became Panem, people used to ride them for fun on occasions such as fairs.

     "Alex?" I hear someone say behind me.

     I turn around and see both Tris and Tobias. They both walk up to me with frowns on their faces and stand next to me.

     "Yes, what's the problem?" I say unsure on whether what they are going to say is good or bad.

     "We both have something to tell you." Tobias says in that deep voice of his. It reminds me of that man that was on stage at the Choosing Ceremony. They sound almost the same but not exactly the same and some of his facial features look like his.

     "Ok," I stutter, worried. "What?"

     " We've been here, Alex. This was our home."