chapter 17

Jihyo finally grabbed her own phone to see what all the pinging was for. She froze at the spot when she saw the messages she had sent to "Brian" also on her phone screen.

"Unnie." She gulped nervously and moved far away from Jeongyeon.

"What's wrong?" Jeongyeon looked at the leader's shaking hands. "What happened?"

Jihyo gently dropped Jeongyeon's phone in front of her on the bed and moved even further away.  She pursed her lips together and dropped her head.

"Why? Did he say something else?" Jeongyeon asked picking up the phone. "Is he breaking up with me- OOUU." She panicked and let go of the phone when it started ringing. Brian was calling her.

After calming down, she answered it. "Are you angry?"

"Why would I be? Your well-being comes first."

"I'm sorry-"

"Don't apologize for something natural."

"You still want to meet up as planned?"

"Sure. I already got someone to book the room for us, we can just hang out there."

"Ok, I'll see you tomorrow."

"I'll be there first. Bye."

Their phone calls started to get awkward the longer they were together and sometimes they didn't call each other at all to avoid that. Possibly one characteristic of being in a long-term relationship where you have to hide.

"Bye."

After she ended the call, she went to her messages and swiped to see the beginning of their conversation. She tried to keep swiping to read past conversations as well but it stopped at a message from Brian saying: "hey."

"Wait don't tell me-" She looked up at the recipient at the top. It said, ten people. One of them was obviously Brian because she recognized his contact picture in the mini circle.

She immediately glared at Jihyo. "YAH!!"

Jihyo went on her knees and started pleading.

"THANKS ALOT FOR PUTTING MY BUSINESS OUT THERE." Jeongyeon yelled furiously.

"I'm sorry."

"LIKE THAT FIXES ANYTHING." She got up and stormed out of the room.

"I'm sorry I didn't check properly-" Her sentence was cut off when Jeongyeon slammed the door.

When Jeongyeon was out of the room, she roughly clutched her hair in her fingers trying to find out the easiest way to run from the embarrassment.

She decided to compose a message and send it.

---

Brian returned to the living room and Jae cleared his throat. He had lost and had to tell Brian about it.

"Bro," he started. "Did you call Jeongyeon just now?"

"Yeah why?"

"She didn't mention anything... weird?"

"No??" Brian looked at the incoming message on his phone. "One second." He read the message from Jeongyeon that said:

hey guys, as embarrassing as this is, let's just pretend none of that happened. I accidentally sent the message to the wrong person. I would appreciate it if no one mentions it ever, thanks.

The smile on Brian's face disappeared. The three guys who also received the message sat there awkwardly.

"Oof." Jae let out. "I guess I don't have to explain to you anymore."

Brian facepalmed himself and put his headphones back in.

"You don't have to be embarrassed." Jae continued. "We'll just do as she said."

"Hyung." Wonpil whispered. "Shhh."

---

At the end of class, IU stopped everyone from leaving to make an announcement.

"On Valentine's day, we're going busking."

"That's tomorrow." Someone complained.

"Exactly." IU continued. "Everyone be here on time, we'll be taking a coach bus to the venue."

"Where is it?"

"The amusement park, many couples will be going there. That's our target."

"I thought we had a day off tomorrow."

"Well you don't, so rest well tonight and come ready tomorrow."

The class became noisy with mumbling and complaining.

Dowoon packed up fast to catch up with Chaeyoung who was still avoiding him.

"Did you read the messages?" He asked to start a conversation. "Jeongyeon must feel so embarrassed."

She simply nodded and kept on walking.

"Are you still mad at me?" He held her arm and made her stop walking. "We were fine yesterday."

"That's what you think."

"I don't even know what to apologize for..."

"I never asked for an apology." She shook his hand off her body. "Just keep your distance from me."

"I can't."

"Why not?" She stared at him without budging.

"I don't know.. I just want to be around you."

"Well, it's not comfortable for me. I don't want to be around you." She retorted.

"Why not?" He repeated it in the same tone she had previously asked him.

"Stop messing with me." She attempted to walk away but he stopped her again.

"Can you please just tell me what exactly I did."

"I told you."

"You didn't."

"I told you a scenario that explains how I currently feel. Remember?"

"No. Just tell me in simple words."

"I like you. You like IU. It's hard for me. I'm trying to hate you." She said bluntly and walked away.

Dowoon stood at the same spot contemplating on what to do.