chapter twenty-two- virgil

TW: abuse, self-harm

after about ten minutes of sitting in silence while logan worked on the project, it looked like he was almost done, patton and roman came back. roman was for whatever reason glaring at me like i killed his father or something. after about twenty more minutes which by then it looked like logan and gotten the project done patton went to get the cookies out of the oven and was going to start making the icing for the sugar cookies. logan and roman were arguing about something that had to do with alexander hamilton and macaroni and cheese when i got a text from danny. 

danny: hey

me: hi

danny: u free 

me: yeah

danny: can i come over

me: sure, ill see you soon 

i shoved my phone in my pocket and stood, "um... i've gotta go, i'll see you tomorrow for presentation," i said, roman rolled his eyes. 

"where are you going anxiety?" roman asked, it almost surprised me that he was using my nickname. 

"none of your business princey," i said as i walked out the door and down the sidewalk.

i walked into my house, my hands shaking anxiously. i couldn't tell if they had just began to shake or if they had been shaking all day, that tends to happen a lot. 

after about ten minutes, danny arrived. when he walked into the house his left eye looked like it was starting to swell up. his cheeks were wet and his face was red, his entire body shook but he looked almost relieved to see me. "hey v," danny said, his voice sounded wore out and tired, "do you have any ice?" he asked, gesturing to his eye. 

"yeah," i said standing up as i walked to the kitchen, "what happened?" i asked, opening the freezer and taking out an ice pack, danny shrugged. 

"my dad and i got into an argument," danny replied as i handed him the ice pack.

"i'm sorry," i said, unsure how to respond. this wasn't the first time something like this has happened. this had to be one of their more mild fights, otherwise, danny would have a lot worse than a black eye. "do you need to stay here for the night?" i asked, usually when this stuff happened, danny would avoid his house for the rest of the night. 

"nah, he was on his way out when he noticed my existence, i'll go home later," danny replied wincing as he applied the ice to his eye. "i just missed you," danny added as my cheeks got hot. a smile tugged at my lips as he wrapped his free arm around me and pulled me closer towards him. "you wanna watch a movie and cuddle?" he asked with a grin planted on his face, his eyes seemed to sparkle in the natural lighting of the kitchen. i nodded, as we walked back into the living room. 

after twenty minutes of trying to decide between the nightmare before christmas and edward scissor hands, we ended up going with nightmare before christmas. after putting the dvd into the movie player i sat down on the couch next to danny as the movie began. i could feel danny wrap his arm around me as i leaned against him feeling my body relax. after about a half an hour into the movie danny put down his ice pack and used his now free hand to grab onto mine. i could feel a smile escape my lips as i squeezed his hand gently in response. out of the corner of my eye i could see him smile too. 

as the end credits of a nightmare before christmas rolled i could see danny's eyes close, as mine also began to feel heavy.