55: Fall Fall Fall

You peer into the vast darkness. You can't even see the bottom it descends so far down. The more you look at it, the more you feel like you are going to fall. You step backwards from the strangely alluring gap in the ground that was big enough to fit four of your at least.

"And you're saying, they fell in there?" Jin turns to Jungkook, a little doubtful. "How do you know that they're in there?"

Jungkook rolls his eyes and lifts up his phone, shoving it right in Jin's face. "I got their signal, from the detector Namjoon hyung had us install."

Jin stares at the screen in confusion before raising a finger to point at something that has caught his eye. "What's this yellow thing?"

Jungkook's eyes go wide in incredulity. "You've never heard of Snapchat, hyung?" Jin looks at the strange application confused as Jungkook lowers the screen, opening the app, trying to explain to Jin how it worked like helping a senior relative.

"Snap...chat?"

"Yeah," Jungkook nods. He goes back to the camera and finds a filter, applying it on Jin's face. Bewildered Jin stares at the screen, eyes going wide as he finds he's grown a pair of ears. Slowly he raises his hands to his head, squishing plain air.

Jimin bursts out laughing, nearly falling into the hole as he can't see when he laughs. Hoseok grabs Jimin, pulling him away from the edge as he clears his throat, feeling like it was his responsibility to take charge now that Namjoon was absent.

"So they just fell in?" Hoseok returns to the point, a little disbelievingly, coming back to the point. "I mean...it's a pretty big hole. They would obviously notice it."

You take in your surroundings. It's way deeper in the woods, some place you probably would have never found unless you'd gotten lost or opened some portal into Narnia. In all directions are trees, huddled so close together that the atmosphere is cool and shadowy.

"Namjoon-ah!" Jin yells into the gap. "Taehyung!!"

His voice echoes down the rock and soil and weeds but to no avail. It must be so far down his voice would die out. You try not to look down into the hypnotizing blackness. It was like a portal to the center of the planet.

Wait.

You stiffen. Had the fallen into the planet's core? Wasn't that supposed to be bubbling with lava or something? That was a scary thought. You try to abandon it. If their location still showed then they should be alive.

"How's that going to work?" Jimin tell Jin. "We should call them." He flips out his own phone but Jin scoffs. "Sure, because they're going to have network all the way down there. How do we even know they can pick up?"

"What do you mean?" Hoseok dares Jin at once.

"I mean, after you fall down something like that..." Jin trails off, not wanting to say it. "You..well you don't-"

"No," Jungkook cuts him off. "They're there. I know they are. They're still alive down there."

"This is an obstacle. " Jin remarks, taking a deep breath. "We don't know what happened but if we keep running when anything weird happens we will never know."

"Well there's only one way to find out."

There is a silence as you all stare at down the winding gap. None of you want to accept what you must do. But there are no more excuses that can be made.

Now there was a new problem.

Who was going to go first. You all exchange looks but eyes easily land on the oldest member of the group. His bewildered looks show his feelings quite well.