Thirty Five

What if I told you the devil wasn't dark?
That he had no menancing glare?
Long white hair where black was supposed to flow.
A charming stare where horns were supposed to rest.
Who held an aura filled with passion and pride.

The majesty of his appearance was tranquil but assertive. His eyes, soft and golden, with a touch of thrill against a backdrop of rage.

—-

"Don't you agree my queen?....Queen Persephone?"

A voice snatches me from my thirsty gaze as I turned to the person of interest. "Don't you agree my queen?" a unfamiliar man asked yet again. I looked to each man as they watched me with concern.

"I seemed to have dazed off" I muttered as I wiped my mouth clean.

"I said that the barrier lining the corners of the kingdom should be more secured. Aideoneus disagrees. Do you agree?"

I took another peak at Aides as he stared at me; his golden eyes piercing into my soul.

Had he seen me staring at him for so long?

"I think the decisions of the underworld should be taken from the king. He is the ruler and has been doing so for many years before me."

The unnamed man nodded and leaned foward to whisper into his friend's ear. The council of the underworld continued to converse with the king as I quietly ate my meal. I knew it best to not speak of matters that did not pertain for me.

Just before desert came, a messenger came in and kneeled at the side of Aides chair, informing him of a change of plans. He pursed his lips with disdain but nodded and looked over at me.

Both my cheeks turned red as he stared but looked away. Just before I could say anything, a woman with a gusto so rich glided in. His spirit was instantly aroused although he attempted to mask it. She smiled at the edge of the table and stood waiting for the people to greet her.

He stood from his chair and faced her; I knew they shared a past.

"Aides" she pouted through a smile. She was dark and sinister, yet had an ethereal glow about her. I couldn't place her features, although she did look familiar.

"Hera...what a surprise" he stared, clutching the ends of each table.

"Aides it's been to long!" she sucked her teeth with disapproval

"Aides it's been to long!" she sucked her teeth with disapproval. She turned her head and stared me down; chuckling at my lack of significance.

"Surely this is not..."

"Queen Persephone" Aideoneus made sure to introduce me. She came over to me with open arms and hugged me softly. "He hasn't told you of me? Hasn't he?" she whispered against my ear with pride. She pretended to frown again; every line on her smooth face held their place.

I could not lie and admit that he was a beauty even closer. Her long brown curls were packed neatly into a soft bun. Her features made all the men stare; as if they were in a trance. Her skin was as pale as the ice of a snow capped mountain.