Seventy Four

Persephone

The crowds of gods and deities were distracted, their eyes glued to the door as Hera stood at the entrance of the room.

Hera's eyes darted from one point to another, trying so desperately to think of an excuse for her conspicuous intrusion.

"I...I..." She stuttered. I started to regret my part in in releasing her. She made no promises to assist me with my plan, but her assurance of solidarity with protecting Aides from Eris convinced me differently.

"You cannot start a wedding without me of course!"She let out a joyful laugh, lifting her hands in dramatic flair.

The gods and goddess unhurriedly laughed, understanding the intrusion. Her courageous theatrics was on brand for the demanding goddess.

While the others were distracted, I tiptoed through the hall, pacing to the steps that connected the second floor where the three fates were.

A few steps separated me from the truth. Eventually I climbed to the top and see the three sisters hunched over a metal black cauldron. They threw a few green things and black beans into the bubbling pot.

"Are you ready?" I whisper, crounching beside them.

"Who said that! Kore?" The tallest of the three looked up to the sky. Each of their heads darted each way, suspicious of the unclaimed voice.

Oh yea! The helmet. I lift the heavy hat off my head and smirked.

"Ahh!" The plumpest sister sighs, finally catching sight of my figure. "Look sisters. She bore the helmet!"

The three of them nodded and continued brewing the potion. "Is it ready?"

"Almost. Just a few more minutes" the tallest said.I was a bit annoyed it was not ready.

"What is the definition of a few more minutes?" I mumbled.

"You are a simple flower goddess so you may no be able to understand the space time continuum. We can not—"

I lifted my finger and pointed it at the tallest, twisting her arm so she could silence. I had no time for her rudeness. "Mmmmmfffd!!!" She yelped in pain.

——

Aides

I wondered the reason for Hera's intrusion. Kore had warned me of her involvement in the plan so I was unsure if her loyalties. Still, it did not hurt to play along for the time being.

"Well Hera. We must continue" the priest nodded, ushering her to sit beside Zeus.

"You asked the question. I heard it from beyond the door?" Hera said, making sure her voice carried throughout the room. She was a personality and was making sure to give the performance of a lifetime. "Speak now? Or forever hold your peace?"

The priest watched her above his dark brown hair.
"If it wasn't apparent to you... I am speaking!" She giggled, flipping a brown curl off her perfectly lifted shoulder.

"I accuse Eris! Goddess of Mischief with the highest order of treason! Her charge? Attempting to kill the reigning ruler of the Underworld!"

I was taken back but somewhat content that Hera was showing her slip. She was in my side which meant she was aiding Kore.

"Hera!!! What is the meaning of this!!" The three judges of the underworld Minos, Rhadamanthus, and Aeacus, stood from their pews, outraged with Hera's sudden intrusion.

I turned my attention to Eris. She stood at the altar with her hands buried behind her back, pretending to look downcast. Some deities showed pity on her as she forced a dry tear down her cheek.

Goddess of mischief?
Ha!
She should be renamed to goddess of theatre!

"To accuse the future Queen of the underworld is unpresidented! What proof do you have of this!" Minos charged. Eris was their top contender for Queen of the underworld. They would rather be sentenced to eternal damnation before someone interfered with their plan.

Persephone

The other two sisters worked faster as they caught sight of my threatening glare. Finally, the potion was finished and long before another set of declarations from the judges, the scene of my first few nights began to play in the air.

I'll give you a sword
You will kill Aideoneus on the day of the full blood moon.
No! Take the sword away from me!

Another scene flashed where I threw the sword Elysium in the water. This was proof of my innocence!

The cauldron flashed foward to yet another scene that showed Hera and Eris were conspiring together.

So I will disguise myself as Hera! The witches will never know!
How will I obtain the sword?
The three fates have dug it from the lake. I will shift into Kore and try to kill Aides.
Perfect!

"Hera!!" Zeus proclaimed loudly, standing from his chair. "You wanted to kill my brother!!!" He fumed. I was surprised by his rage.
"No!! No!!! I told Eris not to touch him!"

The scene continues to play.

"Make sure you do not touch Aides! We do this plan, have Kore banned and dispose of the sword. " Hera's intentions were clear.

"This doesn't excuse the fact that you conspired to kill him!" Zeus fumed.

"What is going on?"
"Hera tried to kill Aides?"
"Where is Kore?"

The whispers of the crown ricocheted off the walls. My plan was working...but why was there still so much confusion?!

No! This is not how I meant for things to play out.

"Stop!!!!!!!" I screamed, silencing the noises of the mob below.

Every eye was now on me as my voice echoed against the stone walls.

"Persephone"
"Kore?"
"It's kore!"
The whispers of the dieties swelled once more as I took off my helmet and walked down the cobble stone aisle.

I didn't care for their whispers.
They always whispered.
I was used to their stares and judging eyes.

I didn't care about their preconceived impressions.

I had a wedding to stop!