Twenty One

2 weeks earlier:
The night Kore was abducted

———-
Demeter
———

Wine flowed and laughter rolled at Athena's banquet for her new priestesses. Another tray of food was passed as I stepped through the crowds to look for my daughter.

That was strange...
Kore should have been here by now but I had not seen her all night?
Where ever could she be?

Athena insisted I come to her party and I assured her I would only come if I could bring Kore along. She went to pick flowers with the nymphs but promised me she would come after. I knew she would rather be anywhere than here in a room full of deities but I of course took the initiative to force her to get aquatinted with these people. I kept her restricted for far too long.

I rolled my eyes as I saw Zeus, Poseidon and Aideonius strolling  into the crowded banquet hall. The crowds parted to let them pass; every pupil was now on them; the life of the party.

All three men were hovered over some insignificant priestess seated at the end of the stage. 👀 She was a beauty I could not lie, but was a mortal nonetheless. Her status held no weight next to my Kore.

I prayed to the gods to find my daughter as the night continued on,

"Where's your daughter?" Athena asked through a whisper. She was clearly drunk. My eyes fell onto Zeus as he pointed at me. He leaned over to whisper something into Aideonus's ear and he responded with a nod.

"I suppose she never showed. Maybe she was tired from harvesting all day" I pouted, sipping the rest of my red wine. "Athena, I am heading out for the night" I inform her, hugging her before I departed.

——

"Kore! I'm home!" I yell, eager to hear her joyous voice.

"Kore?" I call for her again. She was probably sleeping since it was 3 in the morning.

I slowly slip off my sandals and climbed up the stairs to her room. Her door creaked open as I craned my head to inspect her bed. I see her blankets and pillow sprawled across her restless body. "Goodnight my sweet daughter" I whisper and leave her alone to sleep.

Next morning.

"Kore!! Come down for breakfast! You must eat before you harvest again!" I call.

No answer

"Kore?" I call once again to no reply. I climb up the stairs and burst through her door to wake up.

"Wake up Kore." I coax her and pull the blankets off to scare her. Horror filled my form as I see her empty bed. "Kore!! Kore?" I yell. I frantically pull the sheets and pillows, trying to reveal her hiding place.

My feet carry me down the stairs, past the kitchen, into the garden where the nymphs lived. Surely they would know where she was? Maybe she already left with them for the harvest?

"Lila! Rina! where is Kore?" I barged into their sanctuary.

"Mother goddess!" they jump with fear at my unexpected presence.

"Where is Kore"I query them once more. They only look to the floor, refusing to meet my eyes.

"Speak timid ones. Where is my kin? Has she went harvesting already?"

They fall to their knees in humbleness as they cry at my feet "mother goddess...we were picking flowers! And the Forrest! She pricked a flower?"

"Kore? My daughter?" I ask again, refusing to believe their words.