Twenty Six

Kore

The first day of official duties arrived. I stretched and stared out the window, still shaken from our encounter from last night. He had tried to steal my innoncce!

A soft tear stained my cheeks as I envision my future; I knew my life would be miserable here.

"Please your majesty! We must dress you! You have a full day ahead of you" the same female demon suggests as she lifted my blankets to dress the bed.

I cringed as I hear my title roll off her lips. "Your majesty"  I would never get used to it. She paused her actions as she realized my hesitancy.

"You will go to the throne room and help the master decide on daily matters" she informed me, trying to cam my spirits.

"Matters?"

"Like last wishes, death proceedings, things of that nature. People will ask the king for another chance of life. Common matters like those" the demons fills me in.

"Your bath has been prepared and breakfast is ready at your call" she piped as she stuffed the dirty sheets into the wicker basket. My eyes fell on the dress hanged against the door of the bathroom. There was no point in fighting against him or living in this kingdom. I tried many times before to escape. If my own mother couldn't help me, what purpose was there to fight? I knew I had to take matters into my own hands and kill him soon.

Once I dry myself and lotion, I slip on the lace dress. It was another revealing one, with my bosoms on full display. I tried to shove them deeper into the sides but it was no use.

I walk into the foyer of the throne room

I walk into the foyer of the throne room. The guards bow and direct me inside. My stomach dropped as I see a menacing shadow behind me. His fiery aura made me assured of his presence. He gives me no acknowledgment, not even a simple greeting or good morning. He only offered his arm so that I may grab it. Hesitantly I  take it and he escorts me to the center of the fiery throne room.

We both walk in silence as he led me to my throne, then calmly walked over to his. I stole a quick glance to observe him but his eyes only focused straight.

Why was he pretending as if I did not exist?

"Let us begin" he announces to the demons and the doors open.

The first person, a plump middle aged man, tiptoed in. "King of the underworld! I bring gifts for the new queen" he bowed low and left his basket at the base of the stairs.

"Thank you—-" I begin my praise but before I could finish, the king cuts me off.

"What is it?" he sighed, scrunching his nose with disgust.

"Lilies master. I know she is the goddess Kore and nurtured life on earth" he smiled warmly. I am touched by his honesty and tempt him to rise.

"What an insult for a gift!" the king announced.