Chapter 8

Never in my life have I been to Moria, not in my years of traveling, mainly because none of my so-called missions took me here. It took me by surprise that Frodo chose the mines, but I wasn't going to disagree about his choice anytime soon. There's a chance for me to see my Durins, in so many years of loneliness, I am finally here.

We passed south, along with the misty shadow of an aqueduct's ruins. "Frodo, come and help an old man. How's your shoulder?" I let Frodo go and he stepped to Gandalf. "Better than it was." Answered the hobbit. "And the Ring? You feel its power growing, don't you? (Y/N) and I felt it too. You must be careful now. Evil will be drawn to you from outside the Fellowship... And, I fear, from within."

Boromir passes them, which is why they remain quiet for a while. "Who then, do I trust?" Asked the Hobbit. "You must trust yourself. Trust your strengths." A hand patted my shoulder and I looked behind to see Legolas, with a smile, he helped me to walk up the road.

"What do you mean?" Asked Frodo. "There are many powers in this world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. And against some, I have not yet been tested. (Y/N) has known much of those greater than anyone, and yet, darkness hasn't consumed her body. She said to me once: 'You will only trust those who stay with you for good and for bad.'" I looked back at the duo with a grin, which they returned slowly.

Gimli stepped next to me and gasped as he grabbed my sleeve and shook it, making me giggle at his reaction at seeing our family's home. "The Walls... Of Moria!" We stood and looked upon a vast cliff face. "Dwarf doors are invisible when closed." He knocked his axe against a rock while we moved along the wall, basically searching for a door that will be impossible to find.

"Their own masters cannot find them, if their secrets are forgotten." I said as I helped Gimli, I read about the many secrets of dwarf culture, they were scared that others would steal from them, in the end, they weren't just stolen but the owners were killed, normally by Orcs and dragons.

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" The elf whispered, and Gimli grumble. A foot splashes into shallow water and I saw Frodo pulling his leg back, he stepped next to me almost immediately as I stared at the great pool beside the rock face with some concern.

Gandalf approached the rock between two trees and ran his hand over the cliff face. "Now... Let's see. Ithildin." Beneath his hand run spidery silver lines, faint beneath the dirt. "It mirrors only starlight... And moonlight." I looked up at the black night sky as the moon appears. The silver lines grow bright, outlining a door formed of two columns beneath an arch, with a star in the center.

"It reads 'The Doors of Durin. Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter.'" I said. "What do you suppose that means?" Merry asked as he looks at the shining door. "Oh, it's quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password, and the doors will open." Gandalf didn't seem as worried as he was before.

"Annon Edhellen, edro hi ammen!" The Doors remain closed, uncomfortable silence engulfed the place and I pursed my lips. "Fennas Nogothrim, lasto beth lammen." Gimli and I looked at each other in confusion.

"Nothing's happening." Pippin whispered and Gandalf glanced at him, looking slightly annoyed.

He begins to push on the doors, but they're still closed. "I once knew every spell in all the tongues of Elves... Men... And Orcs." The wizard said, his eyes locked on the door. "What are you going to do, then?" Pippin asked.

"Knock your head against these doors, Peregrin Took! And if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will try to find the opening words..." Pippin looked down as he was just punished by taking a piece of candy from a kid. I pet his head, trying to calm Pippin's heart, it was bumping really fast.