Chapter 17 | The Two Towers

Many days passed, we haven't seen Orcs or any creatures in our path, Saruman must have been gathering them in Isengard, but until I don't have any signs of the wind, we could not advance further. I found Aragorn by the edge of the forest, a target set up yards away. He held the bow up, the arrow quivering just above his ear, lithe fingers pulling the string back before releasing it.

The arrow, as expected, not only hit the target but pierced the center. I clapped, it had been a beautiful shot. "You did not miss." I said, grinning. The man turns to me. "You thought I would?"

I shrugged. "It has been a while since you have needed to use it. Regression is only natural." Aragorn frowned. I noticed the smile creeping up the man's face. "You tease." It wasn't a question, but a statement of a fact. "You could not hit the target from thus far." He retorted, I looked skeptical as he surveyed the distance with a careful eye.

"I could try." I offered. He handed his bow and arrow over all too easily. "I would like to see you try." He kept his brow arched as I took it from him with a dubious glance. I raised the bow to my ear, pulling the string taut as I drew it back, the arrow quivering against it. I let my fingers go, let the arrow fly.

It hit the target, but only barely. The arrow set into the yellow rim, but it wasn't in the center. "You once used a bow, your grandfather's bow... What happened to it?" I shook my head, chuckling a little. "I gave it to Acay, he needed it a lot more than I did. And now here I am. With a giant axe and magic."

The man nodded. "What you need is sleep." I stared at him in disbelief. "I slept last night." Aragorn shook his head. "One night is an exception, not the rule." Aragorn whispered, stepping closer. None of us realized that we were close until we found ourselves staring into each other's eyes, a half-smile curved on the edges of his lips, and I didn't know what I would do to see him smile.

"Then perhaps you should try that again, just to see if it is the rule, and not the exception." A voice behind me suggested. I turned to find Legolas staring at us with a wicked smile, my cheeks turned red. Did he see us?

"Of course." Aragorn agreed. What?

"Both of your shots were satisfactory." Legolas said, taking the bow in my hands, but Aragorn only laughed. "Nothing will compare to your shooting." He joked, making me smile. "I only fear for the poor soul who must spend their life being taught by you." I said.

"The hobbits must be suitable with a bow as well." The elf added, eyes drifting to the arrow that hung from the target, watching as it fell to the ground. "You could always teach them if they are so hopeless." Legolas tilted his head, genuinely considering the idea. "Your technique was off, and your arms were too stiff. You should stay loose." He advised the man.

"You can't always muscle your way through things." I said as I turned to Aragorn, making Legolas chuckle and the heir frowned at me once again. "Perhaps you could teach me." Legolas and I looked at each other, and I walked behind Aragorn. "Hold up the bow." I instructed. Aragorn did so, stiffening when I reached around him to fix his grip on the bow, my arms wrapped around him.

"Relax..." I insisted. "The tenser you are, the less likely it is that the arrow will go where you wish for it to." Aragorn did as he was told, relaxing in his grip as he leaned against me. "Now what?" His voice was soft, almost like a whisper. "Pull the string back." Legolas instructed. "Slowly, the target isn't moving anywhere." I moved my hand to hold Aragorn's wrist instead.

"At least not this one." I finished for Legolas, adjusting the fingers so they were better streamlined with the string. Aragorn drew the string back, slowly, slowly, slowly, until I squeezed his wrist to get him to stop. "Now release using your fingers, not your entire hand." He let his grip loosen and felt the fingers pull away, the arrow launching forward.