Chapter 22

Finally, I woke up, feeling as if I didn't at all, but I felt shorter and I gazed down slowly. I was back in the time when I was 18, the fire flickering menacingly in front of me showing all the details about my old self.

'(Y/N)!'

I heard a voice again, but this time it was different, a strong yet feminine voice loomed in the forest, seemingly oblivious to any danger that Fangorn can give. I ran towards it, feeling my breath hitch as I felt burning on my skin.

'She can't do this! (Y/N) is only a child!'

My grandparents were in our old house when we were in Blue Earth, both of them sitting on the couch that they always seemed to move. I laughed at the memory, not realizing that this was all an illusion from the forest.

'Rosa, she has grown, (Y/N) is no longer a child. She has to be strong, for us, for herself.'

'I know... But she yet doesn't realize what is waiting for her... Oh, my sweet girl...'

I looked neither to the right nor to the left, simply kept my eyes straight ahead. My head held high, as I ran through the memory. I don't remember this... Did grandma used her magic on me?

'I do not know. (Y/N) isn't the same, she feels... Far away.' 

Ágo said all of my cousins around her as they spoke softly.

'If we could only help her, but wisdom is not something our family has... Except her.'

For several heartbeats, the glade was silent, sitting in noiseless contemplation. I looked to the sky, for faintly through the trees, some stars could be seen. I spoke wordlessly to the Valar, seeking their guidance in this matter. What to do with the disgrace that I had put on myself.

'I love her, Tauriel... With all my heart... She will forgive me if fate wants it that way. She is the fairest of them all. She is so special.'

I raised myself slowly, head still elevated proudly. I turned and glanced around, finding the last elf I thought of seeing. "Tauriel." Her fair face and figure made me stare, it was my fault she couldn't return to her husband, one of the many mistakes I've made, and that it will forever remain a wound.

'Sunshine is always brighter than starlight. The stars are nice to look at and some admire their light, but as soon as the sun shows up again there is no star that could last next to her.'

Somehow, the northern part of Fangorn seemed brighter and happier. Perhaps the farther one gets from Saruman's treachery, the less corrupted the forest becomes, even the grass as this end of the woods seemed lusher, with delicate flowers dotting the shaded floor. So remarkable was the difference.

'(Y/N)!'

Now, the voice seemed brighter, a figure running towards me. "Ace...?" I couldn't run to her, and she didn't seem to be getting near either.'None of this is her fault... I always thought it was her choice...' I widened my eyes, finding myself in the Grey Mountains, the moment where she...

'I thanked them for encouraging me. I thanked him for loving me. I thanked... (Y/N)... None of this is your fault...' She sobbed before everything turned black.

'I love you all...'

I ran through the halls of Erebor, where I haven't returned in a long time, I miss my sons, my daughters, my cousins. All of them. The familiar faces of the dwarves were scattered in the illusion, and my tears finally fell down my cheeks. I have done this to them, so many have lost their families because I couldn't stay in the same place, I always do things wrong. I always hurt them no matter what.