9. Meet and greet (part 2)

(Y/N) POV

Dinner is actually a really enjoyable experience. I took my time picking up the food, choosing to travel through spacetime only on my way back to make sure the food was still fresh. I wanted Bakugo and Uncle Zawa to interact alone. Mean, I know, but I don't want to have to be a buffer between the two most important people in my life.

Sink or swim, right?

But it is actually going better than expected. Uncle isn't grilling Bakugo like I thought he would, meaning he got it all out of his system, or Bakugo earned his approval in the short time I was gone. And Bakugo... well, he is still the same, but he is less loud, which is something everyone should be thankful for. Uncle doesn't even seem to mind his cursing, although I think you just get used to it after a few minutes of hearing 'fucking' after every other word.

We eat mostly in silence, the food too good to keep us from eating continuously, but the times we do speak are priceless.

"How was work, Uncle Zawa?" I ask innocently, knowing it was a bad day, and knowing that Bakugo doesn't know Uncle teaches at U.A.

"Awful," he grunts in between mouthfuls. "I won't say you're right often, (y/n), but people really are stupid." I chuckle, and Bakugo snorts with agreeable laughter.

"Did you expel anyone?" I ask, looking at Bakugo who seems a little confused by my word choice.

"Not yet, but there are seven that will likely get kicked out tomorrow," he says without remorse. Bakugo is really confused at this point.

"I thought you were a fucking Pro?" He asks Uncle tactlessly. Uncle raises an eyebrow at the question and looks at me. I shrug in response.

"You didn't tell him? Doesn't he want to be a hero too?" Uncle asks, perplexed that I left this little detail out when talking about him to Bakugo.

"OF COURSE I WANT TO BE A FUCKING HERO!" I shout in sync with Bakugo using my best imitation of his voice. He glares at me, while Uncle holds back a chuckle.

"I am a Pro, and for the love of god stop shouting," he begins. Bakugo doesn't look the slightest bit abashed, instead he focuses his glare on each of us in turn, his head going back and forth like he is watching a tennis match. "I am also a teacher for the Hero course at U.A.," he finishes and Bakugo's eyes narrow even further before widening. Uncle wipes his face with his napkin and gives Bakugo a threatening stare.

"If you apply and manage to get in, I will ensure you are in my class, and I will push you until the brink of death if I don't expel you before then. So, don't think knowing me or my daughter will give you a leg up of any kind, got it?" His voice is low and ominous, but I can't help laughing. Neither can Bakugo. Uncle looks confused, surprised, and a little angry.

"Fuck, it all makes sense now. She's a fucking slave driver when we train, I guess I see where she fucking gets it." He closes his eyes and shakes his head, probably remembering some of the early days of training when he was much weaker and had far less stamina. "And I'm getting into U.A. without fucking question. I don't need your help to do that, and I definitely don't fucking want it. I don't care how hard you push me; I'll still be the best," he finishes, looking at my uncle and shrugging. I am beaming at them both. I can tell Uncle approves of Bakugo, if not fully, then at least mostly, and Bakugo clearly has a little respect for the man that taught me how to fight, is a pro, and likely his future instructor if Uncle can be believed.

This could not be going better!

After dinner we stay at the table for dessert, and I am a little nervous. This was a recipe of my own creation that I had been wanting to try ever since Bakugo's first taste of my cupcakes. As I set 6 of them on a plate and place them in the middle of the table, I am pleased at how beautiful they look. A simple chocolate cupcake with a dash of chilis that I sautéed in ginger and brown sugar, burned butter cream cheese frosting, and a whole candied chili on top for decoration. Bakugo looks excited, Uncle looks skeptical.