32. Bad choices

BAKUGO'S POV

"Soooo, her having a boyfriend isn't fucking working." Aizawa just got back from Icy Hot's house, and from the look on his face, it didn't go that well.

"He's suspicious already." He sighs and sits down at the table across from me. "They aren't going to last much longer like this."

"Good," I grunt, Aizawa nods and pulls out a pack of cigarettes. I glare at him.

"I thought you quit those nasty ass things," I growl at him, remembering the horrible fight he and (y/n) had the last time she caught him smoking.

"I did." He sighs as he opens the full pack, smells them through the wraps on his face, and then puts them back in his pocket.

"That's fucking weird." He nods again and closes his eyes. "Why can't I just fucking be with her?" I whisper angrily and put my head on the table. Aizawa doesn't say anything, and I guess I don't fucking expect him to. He would rather she be alone the rest of her life than think about her growing up.

"You know why," he says finally, and I can't keep my anger in anymore.

"No, actually, I don't! All I know is some bullshit, half-assed story, that frankly, doesn't sound so bad!" I whisper shout, trying not to wake (y/n).

"You want to drop out of U.A.? You want to give up being a hero? Because that's what will happen if you force this to happen right now. And that's not even the wors-"

"Force this to happen?!" I cut him off. "I'm not doing anything! I'm the one keeping things from happening, but I'm the one that actually wants it! This is so fucked!" I rub my hands over my face in agitation.

"That's not even the worst scenario," Aizawa continues. "Say, for instance you didn't keep things from happening. Say you go upstairs right now and kiss her, what do you expect to happen exactly? She's not the one that is demanding she be with you, it's her quirk! You think she is just going to accept that?! She may love you like that right now, she may not, I don't know. But what will you do if she doesn't? Wait for her to activate Insight again and take advantage of the fact she has no control? Is that really what you want Bakugo?!" I don't know when my mouth fell open, or when my hands started to explode, or when Aizawa activated his quirk, all I know is I am fucking pissed and sad and confused.

"Of course that's not what I want! I just want..." I trail off. I don't know what I want. I want her, so bad, but I need her to be happy. I need her to want me because she does, not because her quirk is making her. "I just want her to be fucking happy," I say in a croaky voice. When did things get so hard? When it was just us, before all of these other people came into our lives, I couldn't have been happier. We were both happy. But now...

"I know," Aizawa says miserably. "I shouldn't have let her go to U.A. I thought it would be good for her, but I was wrong. This has just been one failure after another." Even though he says what I was just thinking, I know that's not true. Yeah, things have been fucking shitty more than they have ever been, but she loves school.

"You weren't wrong," I say pressing my palms hard into my eyes until I see spots. "She's made friends, fucking good ones this time. She's coming out of her shell with other people more and more. She's learning how to be a fucking person that can interact with people. She'll need that to be the kind of hero she wants to be." Aizawa lets out a long breath.

"I know," he says again. "I'm trying to find people who can help, but this isn't a common quirk. I only know so much about it from (y/n)'s mother, but it's not entirely the same. This situation is... different."

"How?" I ask. This is the second time he has brought up (y/n)'s mom like this. There has to be something important in what he isn't saying. He shakes his head.