5.3

STEVE HARRINGTON sat on the swingset at hawkins park, listening intently as annabelle updated him on the events of her life.

"billy and i sort of went on a date a few days ago" she trailed off as steve gazed at her, wide eyed. she cleared her throat. "i dont have high hopes for it, but it was nice to go out".

"well not to lessen your belief in relationships, but things with nancy couldn't be worse. the party was the final straw i guess. i dont know if i can even attempt to redeem myself anymore" he sighed as she hummed in response, pondering.

"i say you give her a chance to come to her senses. the first year of you dating was love, i'll give you that. you're in a rough place and she feels like she has to choose between you and jonathan. don't back out and make her choice easier. show her the steve harrington i know". she paused, making eyecontact.

"and who am i through the eyes of annabelle henderson?" he teased, not expecting a reply.

"show her the real you. the side that plays nail bat baseball. the one who lets me drive your car when were both wasted because you know i'm the least likely to crash it, which is untrue, you just want to make sure you dont get the blame. the one that gets high and knows how to have fun. the one who chased me around the school with a tennis racquet".

annabelle had no idea what she was truly trying to say, but knew how much steve loved the brown haired girl, and she would do anything for her bestfriend.

steve only sighed. "jonathan is much better at the emotional shit than me" he reminded her.

"oh shut up steve. who was the guy who comforted me when i was crying my eyes out after i lost my vcard to jayson adams? you. who drove me all the way to chicago when was drunk and crying because i really wanted to see the ocean? you. who stays up a whole 48 hours with me comforting me on every anniversary of my father's death? you! you're fucking amazing steve, and if that bitch wheeler doesn't see that then fuck her."

steve could't help the smile that played on his lips as annabelle rambled on about how great he was. "you're something else, belle" he chuckled before looking at her. "now, can we stop talking about my tragic love life and talk about the romeo and juliet thing you have going on?" he questioned causing her groaned.

this is why they were best friends. they could talk about almost anything, or stay in comfortable silence. 

"i thought you said to never trust a guy with a mullet?" he questioned, an eyebrow raused.

"dude, without the forty pounds of hairspray keeping this skyscraper like it is, you'd also be rocking the mullet look" she defended herself. steve laughed slightly, looking off into the distance.

"you remember when we were twelve, when we used to steal my dad's vodka and climb onto my roof and just sit there for hours, just talking about shit?" steve questioned. annabelle smiled at the thought, vivid memories flying though her mind. "i miss that".

annabelle hummed as she lit a cigarette.

"i'd do anything to go back to that time. just you, me, your vinyls, cheap drug store alcohol, and your roof" she sighed longingly. it was true. things were much simpler at that time. she was never sad. boys meant nothing to her. it was just her and steve. the way she liked it. hell, the way she would like it to be now.

she got up and made her way to the bench next to the swings. "it was better. no girls, drama, bullshit, drugs. no complicated. just you and me, the way it was meant to be" he sighed as he followed her. annabelle nodded in agreement. she looked at steve, a deep sadness in his eyes, before she sighed, resting her head on his shoulder and creating rings with the smoke she exhaled.

"girls are bullshit steve, and thats coming from a girl. we dont know what we have until we've lost it, and once we do, we keep the second best thing closer to our hearts than before. you're too good for nancy".

"you're supposed to say that, you're my friend".

"then this is man to man, or rather woman to man. she's not worth it. hell, she never was. you may think that nancy wheeler is this special, one of a kind girl, but she isnt. she may be your typical girl next door, but she's not the one for you" she trailed off, stoping for a moment to recollect her thoughts.

"you need someone who is just as amazing as you are. who appreciates you as much as you appreciate nancy, or as much as i appreciate you, because god knows you deserve it" she rambled on. steve sat there, watching his best friend talk, seeing her in a new light. the wrong kind of light, and he hated himself for it.

A/n
i hate myself for this chapter lol
i kinda sorta really ship Steve and Annabelle atm and i do not know what to do about it.i know that my boi Billy dies in season3 finale so i was finna turn season3 chapters to Anna and Steve relationship development chapters and just go with that but i dont know anymore lol.
also thank yous soso much for the support and votes
anyways,peace xox