13.2

THREE HOURS LATER, annabelle woke up in the school infirmary, jonathan byers hovering over her head, camera in hand.

"fuck me" she mumbled in agony, touching her forehead for a bandage around it.

"finally " he exclaimed "you've been out for a solid hour. took a forehead to the ground, holley morgan tackled you".

she only nodded, felling dizzy and queasy. "please refrain from sharing photos of me losing a fight" she mumbled quietly as he chuckled.

"lose? she got suspended and everyone agrees that it was unfair and the knock out didnt count as you'd turned the cheek" jonathan told her, bringing a smile to her face.

"the pros and cons of being the fighter chick". she took a glance around the room, noticing they were alone. "thanks for sticking with me, really means a lot considering we dont hang out as much".

"steve and billy wanted to stay but they had basketball. plus, whats a few days of not hanging out? we've done longer" he reassured her as she nodded.

"ah, you're awake" the school nurse announced, walking into the room after hearing a female voice. "you took a nasty hit to the head, as mr. byers has probably informed you. you'll be excused from attending school for two days due to a minor concussion. cheif hopper is on his way to pick you up and take you home". annabelle nodded as jonathan thanked her.

"lucky. i'd kill for a day off. everything's been so hectic since... you know" he stopped himself.

"can't relate. it's been quiet on my side which concerns me".

"the calm before the storm." he nodded.

soon, hopper's face appeared in the door. "what have i told you about fights?" he scolded as annabelle huffed.

"you're not my dad. besides, i have a concussion and you'll make it worse by lecturing me". he rolled his eyes before excusing jonathan.

"thanks again, johnny" she smiled as he nodded, walking out.

"you're lucky that everyone has testified to the other girl initiating the fight because im starting to get sick of cleaning your record" he mumbled, helping her onto a wheelcahir and pushing her out.

"my record needs a few bumps or i'll look like a nerd".

"you're smart belle, no doubt. but sometimes i question your common sense. do me a favour and stay out of trouble once you're better" he instructed as he helped her inside his truck before getting in himself and driving off. "mint?". she held out her hand as he gave her one, throwing it into her mouth.

"i tried to walk away. but the bitch jumped me. plus she slut shamed me for dating billy-".

"who im yet to properly meet" hopper smirked.

"who you'll never formally meet due to your overprotective ass scaring kids in hawkins since whatever year you were made chief".

"cant believe you dont remember"he remarked.

"i was like three. i only remember taking that photo that you keep in your wallet. which means a lot that you keep me somewhere as special as where your alcohol money is, hop" she joked, having a wholesome meaning behind it.

"your dumbass is gonna get in big trouble someday, might aswell let everybody know beforehand that you're with me" he reassured her, earning a smile.

"but really, it means a lot to me, and would've meant even more to dad. im glad you stuck around when my mother didn't" she sighed sadly.

"you know what i say to people like your mother? fuck you" hopper announced, earning a small laugh before he turned up the radio.

like a virgin by madonna played loudly before he pulled up to her house, helping her out and unlocking the door with the key annabelle had specifically gotten cut for him.

"right, im gonna bring some snacks and shit around after my shift. there's a packet of cookies there and a bottle of water, that should keep you going until then. the tv remote is there, i've moved your phone. rest for me, yeah? it'll help give an old man peace at mind" he explained.

"will do, hop. love you" she yelled as he exited the house.

"love you too, nutcase"He yelled back, Exiting and locking the front door.