•eight•

Hyunjin
Lottie was stressing me out. I was eager to know why she received a lot of attention. It's like someone telling you to not press a button; so then you have all this built up desire to press it.

I sighed, raising my hand for the teacher to notice me. "Sir, can I go to the bathroom?" I asked. He nodded before beckoning me out of the door.

Before I walked into the men's room, I heard sobbing approaching me. Turning around I saw Lottie walking down the hallway, her hands covering her red face as she cried into them.

I didn't feel worried, I just felt confused. "Lottie?" I barked at her. She looked up from her hands and her face was wet and a bright crimson shade. She had mahogany cheeks and her lips seemed sore from biting them hard.

I walked towards her with my hands set in my pockets. "Why are you crying?" I asked, leaving the crookedness of that sentence unnoticed. She scoffed, wiping her nose before turning away from me. "So now you talk to me. Funny." She closed her eyes and her eyes focused on the ground below her.

"Tell me." I spoke with a bitter undertone that I was praying she hadn't noticed.

She looked up to me with sore eyes and puffy cheeks. "You really want to know why my life is shit? Why I get unwanted attention? Why people are always worried about me?" She asked numerous questions. I nodded.

"Follow me." She lowly spoke, walking in the direction of where I had an idea was the rooftop. Following in her footsteps, she guided me up the stairs towards the rooftop that she calls her hideout.

She sat perched on top of the edge where she always sat, dozing off into the distance while she rly her legs sway to the music that are gushes of wind.

I waited patiently for her to speak. "My Uh." She paused looking down. "My dad died." She looked up at me. "He commited suicide, Hyunjin." She was on the brink of tears, but she held them in.

She was a timid person, I had just realised. I admired that in her.

"My parents fought a lot, and in Freshmen year I realised my mother had an affair with one of her colleagues." She stopped again before inhaling. "I kept my mother's secret. I guess I wanted to keep our family together. But my father found out and he began shouting out of sadness."

"He lost his job, his life and more importantly; his wife. My mother didn't want him around so she kicked him out. But he never came home after that. The day after we found the police at our door with the grievous news."

I stared at her with doeful eyes. I had never imagined such a strong character, so broken and lost.

But she continued. "Ever since he died, I guess....I just blamed my mother. I hate her. I really do, so I just....run away. All the time. I just sneak out the window because it hurts, Hyunjin. It fucking hurts. Some days I just look at my mother and all I can see is a monster." She opened up to me like I had known her for years. And for once in a long time, I felt bad for someone that I can relate to in such ways.

I look into her eyes and I find them bore so sufficiently. "I know what it feels like. Never wanting to go home. I lost my mom when I was 6; so I was just born into the habit of running away and doing crazy shit." I end up spilling to her my grief but she understands it like I never could. She looked out into the distance before lunging herself off of the edge and towards the door. "Where are you going?" I ask her.

"Hell." She replies back with a sneaky but cheeky comment.

Day by day I am learning more about her. And I'm starting to like it.