First vs Last

"Jao, tum change kar lo." Sameer stepped back, setting her free from his hold.

Naina stood at the same place, staring at him for a while... then turned, realising that all this while her pallu was lying on the floor, behind her.

She gathered it up... but did not drape it around her... rather, when she reached the washroom door, she stood still for a moment with her back to him... and pulled off the entire saree, putting it on the couch before going in.

She did not turn even once.

Sameer stood transfixed... trying to revive himself from this new shock.

"Oh Naina... jaan logi kya meri." Groaning aloud, he pressed his palm on the forehead, throwing the head back.

When she came out after ten minutes, he was pacing the room, not able to shake off the image he had just seen.

"Sameer, tum bhi change karlo." She moved towards the dresser to put the earrings and pendant safely.

He grabbed her midway, hissing, "Yeh kya tha?"

She gave him a calm look, "Bathroom mein saree sambhalni mushkil hoti hai... isliye bahar hi pehente hain aur nikalte bhi bahar hi hain... ab biwi aane wali hai tumhari... toh tumhe aadat honi chahiye."

The events of evening and the last time she had worn saree flashed before him... he had seen her draping it in the room before pooja and today... she had dressed up in the room while he took bath...

His eyes gleamed again, "Iska matlab... har baar room mein hi taiyar hogi tum?"

She shrugged.

"Roz saree pehenna." He grinned, pinching her cheek before grabbing his towel to go for his bath.

Naina touched her cheek, smiling at the closed door.

"Abhi toh bohot kuch baaki hai, Sameer." She said in a low voice, eyes full of mischief.

If only he had seen...

When Sameer stepped out, she had packed her suitcase, putting away the saree and other clothes. Keeping one suit aside, she was about to close it when he called out.

"Naina, suno."

She turned, and crashed against him... he had walked up right behind her.

"Kya hua?" She rested her hands on his chest to balance, a sharp exhale escaping her... she had still not become used to seeing him move around without a shirt... though he seemed to be without it more than he wore one in the room.

"Uhh... tumne tshirt kyon nahi pehna?" Her eyes drifted to his bare chest.

"Tum chahti thi na... uss din baarish mein... aise dekhna... aaj dekh lo... jitna chaho." His arm went around her, one hand going up to tuck an errant strand behind her ear.

A crooked smile appeared on her face, "Uss baarish ke din ko hum kabhi nahi bhool payenge, Sameer... poori zindagi saath rehne ke baad bhi har baarish mujhe uss din ki yaad dilayegi."

"Haan Naina, meri zindagi mein sahi mayne mein uss din kadam rakha tha tumne... aur mujhe laga tha  paani nahi aag baras rahi hai... waise toh tum pata nahi kabse mere khyaalon ka hissa thi par uss din aisa laga jaise tum meri apni ho... mera haq hai tumpe." He reminisced about that day.

"Yaad hai ek baar maine kaha tha ki jab bhi tumse milti hun kuch achha hota hai... aur tumne pucha tha ki uss din ki mulakaat se kya achha hua?" She reminded him of the time when she had told him how lucky he was for her.

He nodded, remembering everything about their time together.

"Tab bata nahi paayi thi... lekin aaj keh sakti hun... uss din pehli baar maine tumhari aankhon mein apne liye kuch mehsoos kiya tha... pehli baar laga tha ki shayad tum bhi mere liye kuch sochte ho... jis pyar ki umeed bhi nahi thi uss pyar ka sapna fir se meri aankhon mein palne laga tha... jis toote hue dil ko yahan Mumbai leke aayi thi woh dil fir dhadakne laga tha... tumhare choone se kaisi bijli daud jaati hai uska ahsaas hua tha... aur mujhe bhi uss din aisa laga jaise paani nahi aag baras rahi hai." She confessed truthfully what all went through her mind that day.

Kabhi toh Nazar Milao Part 2जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें