Ch30: The butterfly project

Shoto's pov

I fiddled about with the handle of the he plastic bag I held. I looked at some of the doctors who were walking down the corridors. I reached the door to Tamaki's room and gently pushed the door open, stepping in and closing it behind me. I turned back around, my eyes resting on the bed in front of me. My breath caught in my throat. Tamaki was sitting up on the bed, one of those tables over her lap with a plate of food that she was thoroughly examining.
"Tamaki?" I asked. She looked at me and gave a very awkward smile, dropping her head slightly and raising her shoulders. I slowly walked over, placing my hand against her face. She reached her hand up and rubbed the back of mine.
"I'm so glad you woke up. I was so worried" I explained. My eyes were pulled to the side where I noticed a chunk of her hair was missing.
"What happened to your hair? Did you accidentally cut it and I just never noticed?" I asked. Her eyes widened for a second before shaking her head to dismiss me.
"Anyway. I've been doing some research and I think I might have found something that could help you" I explained, picking up the back and dumping a pile of colored pens onto the table over her lap. She raised an eyebrow at that and turned to me.
"I didn't just buy pens for you. I promise there's a completely valid reason behind it but I'd like to see your arm. She hesitated for a second before handing over her left arm. Since her hospital gown was short sleeved, I could see all the small scars that ran up from her wrist to her shoulder. I looked up at her, finding her trying to hide her face in her hair.
"I'm not mad Tamaki. You don't need to be scared of me being mad" I explained, placing one hand on her shoulder. She lifted her head and looked at me. I picked up a thin black pen and slowly started to draw on her wrist. She watched me as I drew. Once I'd draw a small butterfly on her wrist, I picked up an orange pen and began coloring in one of the wings, coloring the other one in blue. When I was finished the butterfly, Tamaki looked up at me, eyebrow raised with confusion.
"I read about it online. It's called the butterfly project" I started. She looked intrigued.
"What you do is you draw a butterfly where you usually self harm and your supposed to try not to self harm while the butterfly fades away. If it fades away without you cutting then it means that the butterfly lived and flew away" I explained. Tamaki looked at the butterfly that I'd drawn. "I know it won't be easy to help you stop hurting yourself but I still want to try. I don't want to see you like that again" I explained. Tamaki looked back down at her lap, fiddling with her fingers.
"Hey its alright. I shouldn't have left you alone.  I was an idiot for thinking that you'd be fine after seeing you so stressed out" I explained to her, placing my hand on her arm. She looked at me from the corner of her eye, tears brimming in them.
"Come on Tamaki. Don't cry. Your gonna make me cry at this rate" I told her. She gave a small, inaudible laugh with a small smile weaving it's way through her features.
"You should smile more. You look beautiful doing so" I explained. A small blush spread across her cheeks and the bridge of her nose. I smiled at her.
"I missed you so much" I smiled.

***

Here's a fun little note at the end. I'm making a pmv/animatic/thing about this book. I've already roughly drawn the first 3 verses. Here's a drawing of two of the panels. Sorry if the quality isn't the best. Also I suck at anatomy. P.s the song is arms by Christina Perri.