Entry # 19: How To Convince Your Siblings To Run Away From Home

Jaede's palms, engulfed in a soft emerald glow, hovered over the bleeding wound on Chara's finger. The latter had accidentally cut his digit with a knife while chopping carrots for dinner. Not wanting to disturb their father, who is currently tending the flowers in the room where all of the children fell down, Jaede took it upon herself to heal Chara's injury. The red eyed boy's scar flashed green and the wound vanished.

"Wow!" Chara exclaimed, his irises sparkling with wonder as he inspected his formerly wounded finger. "Your healing magic is amazing!"

"T-Thank you." Jaede replied modestly. "It took me a while to learn it." The glow on her hands faded when she settled them on her lap.

"You think I can use healing magic too?" Chara queried.

Jaede thought about it for a moment. "I don't know." She shrugged. "Dad said that when it comes to humans, their magic depends on their soul trait." She hopped on her feet. "Wait here!" Jaede bolted to the living room and grabbed the book Asgore uses to teach soul magic to the fallen children. She returned to the kitchen in a jiffy and perched back on the chair in front of Chara.

"Do you mind if I check your soul?" Jaede asked, flipping the book open.

"Nah, I don't mind." Chara replied. "Here." Stretching out his arm, he willed his crimson red soul to materialize and float above his open palm.

"Red. . ." Jaede frowned in confusion, skimming through several worn-out pages. "There's no article about red souls in this book." She closed the hardcover and laid it on the dining table.

"Don't you have another book about souls?" Chara questioned.

"No." The green eyed girl shook her head, patting the book. "This is the only one father has."

"Can't he get another one?"

"I don't think so. He never leaves the Ruins." Jaede said. "He told us that what lies beyond Home is dangerous."

"How do you know it's true?" Chara stared at her disbelievingly. "Have you been outside the Ruins?"

"N-No, but I if an adult says that it's a bad idea to exit the Ruins, then it is a bad idea." Jaede countered, suddenly feeling defensive.

Chara stared a her a little while longer. He eventually relented and stood up. "You'll never know unless you see for yourself." He said, walking to the kitchen counter to resume chopping vegetables.

Jaede remained on the chair, listening to the sound of carrots being minced to tiny cubes. Somehow, that statement planted seeds of doubt towards her father figure. Asgore had always been so adamant to keep them in the Ruins. Whenever they asked about the exit, he'd dodge the question instantly. Pressing the matter has proven to be futile.

What is he so afraid of?

The gentle "ping" of the timer yanked her back to reality. With a sigh, she grabbed a pair of mittens, wore them and pulled the cake out of the oven.

Unbeknownst to her, the same thought occurred within the mind of a certain yellow eyed brunette, who is eavesdropping on the duo from behind the kitchen door.

✨ • ✨ • ✨

Justin leaned against the leafless tree near the entrance of their home. He didn't want to be skeptical of the monster who raised and nurtured them for ten years, but what Chara told his sister bothered him.

What is he so afraid of? Why did he cut himself off from the rest of the Underground? Why is Asgore so stubborn on keeping them in here with him?

To tell truth, he had always wanted to leave this place. The Ruins are very small once you get used to them. Justin knows the other fallen children feel the same. Despite their disdain for the Surface world, nobody wants to be stuck underground forever. And yet, none of them tried to leave.