Chapter 49. Devon

The week seems to drag on. It doesn't help that I see Devon almost everywhere now. Now he either doesn't see me or is avoiding me for some reason. I wonder why he won't just talk to me. I know I haven't done anything wrong to him.

Wednesday. Two days until the dance. I am looking forward to that. Its a break between classes and I see Devon in the cafeteria. I walk over to him and tap his shoulder. He smiles lightly to me.

"Hey Jo how are you." He says to me with a slice of pizza in hand.

"I'm alright and yourself." I say as we sit at the closest table.

"I'm alright. So, whats new?" He asks me.

"Oh, you know, last term, playing volleyball. The same ole and yourself? Why have you been avoiding me?" I ask him right out. As much fun as light conversation is, I'd like to just know.

He doesnt answer me. He eats some of his food and looks around the cafeteria. What is it he's looking for? He takes another bite of food.

"Its been a hard couple of months for me. With you choosing Noah, the whole school talking about it. How he's changed for the better and that you made him a decent human being. I must admit you have done just that. He cares, he is kind and he actually helps. Its just been hard dealing with the fact you love him more then you could love me. I get it. I've moved on. Then my mom died. I just sort of took a step back from everything. I passed last semester in a haze. I was lost and confused. But I came out of it and slowly trying to not be the hermit I became. So, its just been hard for me." He says down hearted. I poke around and see that he is telling me the truth about what happened.

"I am sorry for the loss of your mom Devon. I hope your going to be alright. Devon you are a great person ok. I am in love with Noah. I didn't feel that way for you and I am sorry for that. I do hope that things get better ok." I say to him with a smile. I don't want him in pain but I can't help either. It sucks but I'm sure he will find his way out of this and get out of it sooner or later.

"Thanks Joanne. I know you are a great person. I know it will get better. With time it gets easier. Thats all I'm doing is taking it day by day." He says eating some more. He finishes his food.

"I hope that it gets easier sooner for you ok. Please enjoy the rest of your day." I say to him as he gets his stuff and throws his garbage out.

Just like that he leaves and doesn't look back. Its like he's a shadow of his former self. He really doesn't seem the same. I hope the loss of his mom doesn't hurt him too much. Vivian and Aimsely sit down with food for the three of us. I wasn't expecting them, but it is a break until our next class.

They got pizza as well and gave me a slice. They start to eat.

"Thanks." I say eating a bit as well.

"Your welcome. So how is he doing?" Ami asks politely.

"Its not really my story to tell. You'd have to ask him on that front. But he does say it was hard for him to se me love Noah more then him. But there's nothing I can really do about that. I'm in love with Noah." I say focusing on them now.

"Yeah we knew you liked Noah more then Devon. Youre right about that. You cant help who you truly love. I guess we can talk to him and see what he has to say. Maybe he didnt tell you everything. Vivian says smirking. I roll my eyes.

Not my fault at all. I'm not going to tell them about his mom. That's up to him to tell not me. I don't think they will find out much more then what I just found out. Either way its up to them if they talk to Devon or not. I can only do so much.

If he wanted to talk he would and he wouldn't walk away like he did as well. I hope all the best to him. Wherever he may go or do I do hope the best for him.

~~Hope everyone's enjoying their days. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Yes I know it short but I do hope you all enjoyed it none the less. Please vote if you liked it and feedback always welcome.~~