his servant

"And a special welcome to his majesty's most trusted court sorcerer, Merlin!"

Well, you're right about one thing.
The knights of Camelot, along with Merlin and Arthur are visiting another kingdom. Obviously to seek for an alliance. And true, they are a kingdom that holds magic close at it's center.
The kingdom is run by it, in fact.

Servants, knights, it didn't matter where you looked. All kinds of people were using it. And yet, this kingdom was said to be one of the most peaceful and well protected kingdoms in the land.
Uther used to fight a giant war against them. For he killed the dragons, betrayed the last dragon lords and murdered many of their sorcerers.

Which is why Arthur had been both relieved and suspicious, when the knights of Ragnarok had arrived at Camelot and announced that they were seeking an audience with the king.
To insure peace between the rivaling kingdoms.

A young man had approached Arthur in the throne room – hand on his heart as he stated what brought them here:
"Our king has asked us to make sure that you – king Arthur – other than your father before you – allow magic in your land.
When the ban on magic is lifted, you would prove yourself a worthy ally. As magic is at the center of our kingdom, he wanted to ensure that you hold no grudge against it.
My father, king Lotar, asks that you visit us in our kingdom and bring a court sorcerer with you. One who is devoted to you and only to you. If you do this – our kingdoms will no longer be at war.
Consider carefully."

The young prince had spoken. Evident that he had no experience in seeking alliances. He hadn't even bothered to introduce himself. Yet, Arthur knew who he was.
His name was Tardius. Heir to the throne of Ragnarok. Send by king Lotar himself. He was a bright young man, with a brave heart. Courage and honor. He had dark brown hair. His entire appearance spoke of youth and training and a loving upbringing.

Even though he was a bit older than Arthur himself, it was obvious he hadn't fought many battles. Nor had he been send to a kingdom as dangerous as Camelot.
He was inexperienced and nervous. He wasn't scared. He trusted in his father's decision. His wisdom that was acknowledged even by Uther himself, when he was still alive.

Arthur knew of that es well.
"What if I refuse?", he asked. More like stated, his eyes full of mistrust, as he looked at the young man and his knights that knelt behind him.
Surprised, prince Lotar looked up. Eyes wide like a puppy. Full of confusion.

"My father seeks no quarrel with you, your majesty. But he cannot ignore that you inherited your father's legacy and continue to kill our kind.
They may not live in our kingdom, but we cannot ignore their suffering.
If you do not as we ask, we will have to declare war on you. Our kingdom has many knights who know how to use magic. Which is our advantage. The peace treatment we had with your father was annulled the night he died. Now we will deal with you."

Merlin shivered where he stood.
This prince was threatening his king. And yet – Merlin could only dream that Arthur would accept this offer.

"I shall think this offer over, prince Tardius. You may now retreat to our guest rooms. That we have prepared for you.
We will hold a council meeting tonight." And with that, the knights of Ragnarok retreated, relieved they weren't immediately attacked by the knights of Camelot. Arthur – after all – had experiences with these things. And he recognized that the loose tongue of this man came from a place of security, of lack of duty and attacks – not ill intention. He wouldn't risk a war over something like that.

"What do you think of this, Merlin?", Arthur asked, as soon as the last piece of foreign armor was out of his sight.
He was at a loss, right now. A peace offering by this kingdom was like a dream come true. And yet, at what cost? Magic was evil – was it even right to seek an alliance with a kingdom that fancied it? Especially when it basically threatened him?
But Arthur didn't want to risk another war.