Chapter 7 - Heroes

Chapter 7

(Hiro’s POV)

I stayed still, letting her fingers trace my facial features. Her lips were open slightly in her focus. When her thumb got to my lips, I blushed. Forgetting the ‘don’t move rule,’ I opened my mouth to say something to keep my mind off of her being so close. This was an idiot’s mistake. Her thumb hit my teeth, and I realized she would now feel the embarrassing gap between my teeth. She pulled her hand back to her and giggled with a smile that lit up the room.

“Hiro! I told you not to move!”

“Sorry! I was just-“ I stopped myself realizing my argument wouldn’t work. “Nevermind.”

“Hiro,” she giggled and innocently used her fist to cover up the ever-growing smile. “You have a big gap between your upper central incisors.” I covered up my mouth with my hand quickly.

“Hey! That’s not my fault! That’s genetics fault or something!” I defended. She laughed, and the cheerful and playful attitude she had caused me to join her. “Geez, I was hoping I could get away with that without you knowing.”

“Well, hey, you were the one who opened your mouth,” she joked. “Besides, that’s kinda cute.”

She thinks what I’m teased for frequently is cute. I sighed happily.

 “Alright, I’ve got a basic picture in my head. Thank you.”

“You’re very welcome. May I see your eyes now?” I urged. She bit her lip nervously and nodded. I watched as Akira looked down at her lap, slowly took her glasses off, looked back up, and opened her eyes.

I was struck with a hypnotizing, beautiful glare. Her eyes were unlike anything I had ever seen. They were a deep wine red, but had all the color variations and textures and patterns of a normal human eye. Some lighter reds, some purples, a hint of a red-brown by her pupils, a few swirls of a red so dark it was almost black. And then there were her pupils; gray, faded, translucent, almost nonexistent things sitting in the center of her eye. Her eyes were so strange, so unique, so beautiful. I got lost in them for a moment, leaning closer until, without realizing it, I was just outside her sight range, 6 inches away from her eyes. I would have leaned closer had it not been for the inevitable…

“Hiro! The rest of your friends are here!” Aunt Cass burst through my bedroom door. Akira panicked and put her glasses back on and we pulled away from each other. “Oh! Sorry! I didn’t realize I was interrupting you two! I’ll tell everyone you’ll be down in a few minutes!” Cass apologized. I blushed from her assumptions.

“Aunt Cass! We weren’t doing what you thought we were!” I argued. She smiled and winked at me.

“Suure, Hiro.” And with that, Cass closed the door and her footsteps echoed down the stairs.

“Sorry about that, Akira,” I spoke. She giggled and nodded.

“It’s fine, Hiro.”

“Before we go downstairs, I wanted to show you something funny I thought of,” I went on. I pulled myself into my desk chair and rolled over to my computer. Akira walked over to me and waiting by my side. I hit a few keys and tapped her shoulder to signal to her that she could look. She leaned forward, inches away from the monitor, pushed her glasses below her eyes so she could see and laughed. She stood back up and adjusted her glasses.

“That’s a 3-D rendering of Mochi in rocket boots. How funny!” She chirped.

“I plan for that to be my next project. After the one I’ll tell you about with the rest of the group. And the other project that will be a surprise.” I explained. She nodded and grinned.

“Please take a picture of that cat flying. I have to see that!” She exclaimed. I smirked.

“I won’t be taking a picture of him, but you will be seeing it,” I confessed. She titled her head in confusion as the three of us began walking back down the stairs. “It’s part of the surprise.” I had, while watching her look at my computer screen, managed to formulate a new surprise for her in my head. (I’ll keep my plan for Akira a secret from you, readers, too. If you guess my invention before its spoiled, congratulations, maybe you should apply to join our team.) She crossed her arms and stuck her tongue out at me for keeping the surprise a secret.

We made it downstairs to find that everyone had a smirk on their faces, and Honey looked like she was about to fall out of her chair she was so excited.

“What?” I asked.

Fred fake coughed to get my attention and then glanced to Akira. I frowned and looked at Aunt Cass. She winked at me then continued cooking. I rolled my eyes and gave everyone a ‘don’t you dare’ face.

Baymax stumbled over to Mochi, kneeled down, and began petting him.

“So are we gonna go down to the lab and tell her?” Gogo popped her gum and took her feet off of the kitchen table.

“Yes. Let’s go,” I took Akira by her hand and led her down to the garage.

“So this is where the magic happens when you’re not in the school’s lab? All of the robotics?” Akira released my hand upon entering the garage.

“Yeah, but that’s not why we’re down here,” Wasabi began.

“She’s gonna love this!” Fred shouted. Akira stood in the center of the room as the movement of us dawning our suits whirled around her. Once we were all set and ready, I reached my hand out to Akira.