Chapter 52 - AI

Chapter 52

(Hiro’s POV)

                “What did he ask you to do…?” I muttered. Akira stood up with the chip and handed it to me.

                “Your laptop is in here, right?” she asked. I nodded. “Go put this in the laptop.” I slowly stumbled sadly over to the laptop and slipped Tadashi’s card into my laptop. A program came up with several codes and then something started downloading. We all watched as a blue screen came up with a straight white line across it.  “He asked me to save his memories onto the card, and then open an AI program file on your laptop.”

                “W-what?” I stuttered.

                “What did you think I was going to ask her to do, knucklehead?” Tadashi’s voice spoke from my speakers. The white line wavered with his voice. We all broke down into tears. “Technically, this program isn’t me, but by programming my memories into the AI file, it gives this AI a personality like mine and gives me a voice; if that makes any sense. Basically, if magic existed and you resurrected me, I wouldn’t have any memory of anything you say to me here, but I do have all the memories of growing up and talking with you and such. And turn the camera on, please. Button should be on the top left hand corner of the program – it allows the AI system to see.”

                I immediately reached forwards and hit the button.

                “Is that better, Tadashi?” I whimpered. He laughed.

                “Thanks, Hiro.” I spun around and hugged Akira for doing that for my brother. “Oh, and you might want to tell Aunt Cass that her oldest nephew was a robot and now is a computer file. That’s pretty important information.” I grinned and nodded, but tears continued dripping down my face. “And Akira, thank you. You just made my little brother very happy.”

                “You’re welcome,” Akira whispered in a slight cry.

                “Wait,” I said. I typed a few things into the computer and then moved out of the way for the rest of the team to see. Instead of the blue background with the white line, there was now an old picture of Tadashi with the white line. “I just made the program’s background a picture of you, Tadashi.” Everyone in the group was now smiling and crying.

                “I hope it’s a decent photo at least,” he joked. I rolled my eyes. “I saw that,” he commented in reply to my eye rolling.

                “And Sassmaster returns!” Akira shouted.

                “If I could, I’d high five you for that perfect nickname for him,” Tadashi complimented. Akira bowed. “Hiro, when we get home, move my file onto my own laptop back at my desk. And give me open access to all of my programs. That way I can do research and such.”

                “Alright. Do you guys want to head home now and assist in telling my aunt that one of her nephews is now a program?” I asked. They all nodded. I picked up my laptop.

                “Go ahead and turn me off while you walk. I’ll still be here when you open the file back up,” Tadashi ordered.

                “I don’t want to turn you off!” I argued.

                “It’s not like I’ll be waiting in the dark or something. It’ll be like going to sleep or freezing my mind in time,” Tadashi argued back. “Just do it.” I groaned and then closed the program. I slipped the laptop into my bag and the 7 of us, 8 if you count Tadashi, began walking back to the café. When we arrived, Cass rushed over.

                “When I said I wanted you home by 8 for dinner, I didn’t mean you were not supposed to arrive until 9!” Cass scolded.

                “Aunt Cass, we weren’t looking where we were walking on the road… And well, Tadashi…” I began. She widened her eyed.

                “What happened to him?! Where is he?!” She worried. I opened up my laptop and turned on the AI file.

                “Tadashi really did die in the fire. The Tadashi that was here with us was a robot with his memories. The robot got destroyed trying to protect us from getting hit a truck, and we moved the file that gave him his memories and personality to the laptop,” Honey lied slightly.

                “What?” Cass whispered.

                “Hey, Aunt Cass, sorry about the lack of body,” Tadashi’s voice spoke through the laptop. Cass put her hand over her mouth and cried a little.

                “I’m not sure whether to ground you boys or to be happy,” Cass choked.

                “Sorry, Aunt Cass,” Tadashi and I apologized.

(A/N: So, Tadashi is dead, and alive at the same time… for now. Also, we've reached over 2K views!!! Thank you so much everyone!!!)