Chapter 19 - Gummy Bears

Chapter 19

(Hiro’s POV)

                Akira and I were focused with our work when Cass walked in, causing the two of us to jump from her intrusion.

                “Woops! Sorry, you two! Didn’t mean to startle you. I brought some mini bean-paste pastries and a little bag of gummy bears for a snack to feed your big brains,” she explained as she sat the plate and bag in front of us.

                “Thank you, Cass,” Akira answered.

                “You’re very welcome, Akira. Good luck to you two,” she called before closing my bedroom door and going back downstairs.

                “Why’d Cass give us gummy bears?” Akira asked while feeling around for a bean-paste pastry.

                “Oh, they’re my favorite food,” I explained while she found one of the two mini pastries and popped it into her mouth. I followed her lead and ate the other mini pastry. She swallowed just before I did.

                “Your aunt makes good pastries,” she complimented. “Hey, what do gummy bears taste like? Do you think I’d like them?” I sat stunned.

                “You’re kidding, you’ve never had gummy bears?”

                “No,” she laughed. “I’ll try one if you don’t mine.” She held out her hand and I ripped the pack open and dumped one onto her palm. She tossed it in her mouth and ate it.

                “So? What do you think?” I tossed a couple into my own mouth.

                “That was actually really good,” she giggled. “Can I have some more?” I chuckled and poured a few out into her hands and ate the rest in the bag.

                “We should probably take a break for today and work on it tomorrow,” I suggested. She nodded.

                “If you’re willing to walk me over to my house, I can introduce you to Ms. Lyn and show you around my house,” She said in between gulping down gummy bears.

                “I’d love to. Baymax, you stay here. We’ll be back by the latest of 7 PM.” I stood up and grabbed my backpack.

                “I will remain here,” Baymax agreed. Akira jumped off the stool and tossed one of her backpack straps up onto her shoulder.

                “You lead,” she requested and held her hand out to me. I took it and guided her down the two flights of stairs.

                “Cass, we’re going to go over to Akira’s house for a little bit.” I called as we walked through the café.

                “Have fun!” She called back. I led Akira around the back of my house, across the alley between our houses, and around her house to the front door.

                “We’re here, Akira,” I told her. She reached into her shorts' pocket and pulled out a set of keys. I watched as she expertly felt the keys with one hand to determine the correct key, and then slid her house key into the key lock. She held the front door open for me and I stepped in.