chapter thirty three • "what do we do now?"

Mackenzie.

{The next day}

It was the day after our performance. My tagged feed on Instagram was filled of videos of me and Johnny performing. My fanpages were going crazy. Most of the comments were "Who's he?" "He's cute," or "Are they dating?"

Speaking of that, I couldn't stop thinking about what happened before we went on stage. Johnny and I almost kissed. If that stage guy didn't interrupt us, we probably would've kissed. This is huge. This is bad. I haven't even told Lauren yet.

I went to the bathroom to freshen up, and went downstairs. It was just Lauren and Maddie that was downstairs, so I assumed everyone else was still sleeping. I just realized I hadn't even told my own sister that I liked Johnny! This whole thing was stressing me out.

"Morning, Kenz," Maddie and Lauren greeted me at the same time.

"Morning," I said, my voice a little deflated. There was already homemade french toast on the stove, so obviously Mom made breakfast. I put 3 on my plate and poured a lot of syrup. Then, I sat down at the counter.

"What's wrong?" Lauren asked me with a worried tone. "You guys did amazing last night. I don't know if you heard us in the car last night, since you and Johnny were literally sleeping in the car." Maddie laughed.

"Thank you," I replied. "I think I was a little pitchy, but that's just me pointing out my flaws. Anyway..." I looked around to make sure that Johnny, Jack, and Brynn weren't emerging from their rooms.

"Mads, there something I need to tell you. And Lauren, something I need to update you on," I whispered.

Lauren gasped. "You haven't even told Maddie yet?"

"Told me what? Kenz, you're supposed to tell me everything!" Maddie asked, curiously.

"Shh!" I shushed them. "Keep your voices down. Maddie, I'm sorry, but I'm telling you now!" I took a deep breath. "I think I like Johnny."

Maddie didn't even look surprised. "I had a feeling."

"Wait, what?"

"Yeah!" She said like it was obvious. "Remember that day back in Phoenix when you were all sad? You said you were jealous of Brynn and Johnny, but only because you didn't like being single. But, I knew it had to be something more. I can't believe you didn't tell me! I wouldn't have told anyone."

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "It won't happen again. Now, the new development in the story." I took another deep breath. "Before we went to perform, I was giving Johnny a pep talk. Then, all of a sudden, he took my hands and pulled me closer. He was thanking me for always being there and that I'm the reason he's doing all of this. Then, we almost kissed..."

Lauren and Maddie's eyes went wide at the same time. Lauren got up from her seat and started to dance around the kitchen. Maddie was sitll trying to process everything.

"Lolo, calm down!" I told her. "We didn't kiss. Some guy on stage crew interrupted us. But, if he didn't, we probably would've kissed. This is terrible! He's dating Brynn! I feel like crap."

Before I could hear Lauren and Maddie's responses, everyone else came to the kitchen. Lauren quickly sat back down, and I went back to eating my food.

"Hey guys!" Jack greeted us. "Ooh, french toast! Your mom is an angel." Everyone laughed.

Johnny and I locked eyes for a moment, but we quickly looked away.

"Morning," Brynn greeted Johnny before they kissed. I looked away and focused on my food.