chapter thirty eight • "what if"

A/N: THIS IS THE CHAPTER Y'ALL HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR please vote and comment!

Johnny.

{A week later because I have important stuff to get to lol}

Today was the day I was going to confess my feelings to Kenzie.

I was so excited to be in L.A. So far I had a bunch of meetings with management. There was also a meeting about when I would be releasing my first solo single, which I was excited and nervous about. I had to show my songs with professional songwriters. I never showed my songs to people before.

Me, Mom, Jack, and Lauren arrived in L.A yesterday afternoon. Jack found a way to convince his mom to skip school for a couple of days, surprisingly. Brynn didn't come because...well, she didn't want to be around me right now.

Anyway, Lauren made a whole plan on how I was going to ask Kenzie out. She convinced Mom to let us stay at a hotel for a night to surprise Kenzie. Her and Maddie didn't even know we were here.

Now, it was around 7 p.m. Jack and I pulled up in front of Kenzie's house. Mom was coming later. Lauren didn't come because she was busy hanging out with Hayden. Pfft.

"You ready for this, bro?" Jack asked me. "I'm a little mad you might get Kenzie instead of me, but I kind of have my eye on someone..."

"Who?" I questioned.

"One of Kenzie's friends, Eden?" He said. "We haven't talked since then but I haven't forgot about her." We laughed.

I grabbed my guitar from the backseat with my trembling hands. I took a deep breath. I didn't realize I was this nervous.

"I can't do this," I rambled. "I can't do this. What was I thinking, dragging you guys to L.A with me? She's probably going to laugh at me. She probably has a boyfriend! Did you see her Snapchat the other day?

"John, stop!" Jack stopped me. "You won't know until you get out this car, ring that doorbell, and sing your feelings. Now go! Why are you still here?"

I laughed a little and got out of the car, closing the door behind me. I slowly walked up to the front door. I forced myself to push the doorbell button. A nice tune rang through the area.

The door opened, catching me off guard.

"One second, Mad..." Kenzie's jaw dropped in the middle of her sentence. "Johnny? You didn't tell me what day you were coming! Are the others here? I..."

"Shh," I put my finger to my mouth. Then, I started playing the chorus to "What If," which caught Kenzie off guard.

I know, you know
What if I told you I liked you?
We stay, we go
What if I told you I liked you?
I know, you know
What if I told you I liked you?
We stay, we go
What if I told you I like you?

I strummed the last chord, my eyes never leaving Kenzie's.

"John, what are you saying?" Kenzie said to me.

I flipped the guitar behind me and took Kenzie's hands in mine.

"Mackenzie, when I met you 2 months ago, I definitely didn't give a good first impression. I completely embarrassed myself with the 'totally single' thing, remember?" Kenzie chuckled a little.

"And then we worked on this song together, and we became friends," I continued. "It wasn't until we were hanging out in L.A that I realized I had feelings for you. Feelings I've had since I first watched Dance Moms. Feelings I've had when you first came to Bridgewater."