Chapter One | Bigotry and Tea Time

Though it was the middle of summer, clouds were drowning the sunlight out, giving the sky a dark gray setting. Ever since the announcement of You-Know-Who returning, each day seem gloomier than the next. I lived in the muggle world and yet even the muggles in my neighborhood could feel that there was something wrong.

I gazed outside the window in the small living room of my nanny's small apartment, watching the clouds float by. I rested my chin on the palm of my hand against the small round table where I sat crossing my legs.

My other hand laid upon my favorite history of magic book, Year 1960's. I always fancied reading the Squibs' Rights Act. It gave me a somewhat securing thought that maybe wizards and witches wouldn't have to look down upon us. But then again, if a mother and father can disown their only child because of it, then the discrimination was still there.

Ive been living in a small apartment sharing a room with my nanny. Apparently, my mother and father gives money to my nanny, but not as much as we think they are, if we're struggling to meet our bills and I work a part time barmaid job. And it's not like my parents never visited, it would be twice a year, where they would uphold a brief meeting with my nanny regarding to how I am holding up. Though, they would never ask me themselves. There was one time, surprisingly, when my father peeked into my room when I was twelve and told me to keep up the studying and be safe.

Never an "I love you" escaped from his mouth nor my own mother's.

I never do expect more from them, should I even consider them as my parents? Mother? Father?

Family?

I signed and trailed my gaze to the table and fiddled with small vials filled with assortment of colored liquids. I started to put each vial in order counting off what I had. Three Befuddlement draughts, five Exploding potions, two Blood Replenishing potions, and a Garroting Gas.

"By Gods, child," my nanny said from behind, having me to stumbled one of the exploding potions from my grasp and as it fell from the table, I braced for the ignition.

Nothing.

I opened my eyes to see it floating a couple inches from the ground, I slowly grasped it in my hand and looked at my nanny as she put her wand away with a flustered look.

"If the ministry finds out that your stirring up magic illegally--"

"Nana, everything magical is illegal for me. Non existent, even."

"They will have your head!"

I scoffed as I gently grabbed the vials and placed them in a small satchel and pulled the strap over my shoulder. I shot Nana a wary smile and said, "What they don't know won't hurt them. Or me." I chuckled and stood up, walking towards the cramped kitchen where she was setting a tea kettle of water on the stove, "Besides, its a tough world out there. You know, with You-Know-Who..."

Nana swirled around, her French braid whipping through the air as she said, "I want no mention of that monster! If you just stay low and quiet, you will be fine. But, parading around with magical things stowed in your pocket--"

"No one will know!" I gave her a warm hug, "in case of emergencies and hopefully it may not come down to it, these potions are... Nothing."

Nana let out a long sigh and patted my arms. "I raised you since you were just eleven. Its been so long since I've had you and my heart can't afford to lose you, my child." I slowly let her go and she grabbed my head with her shriveled hands and planted a small kiss on my forehead.

"Now," as she changed the subject and pulled out a couple teacups and teabags and laid it on a stainless steel tray, "how about a good cup of hot tea before work?" She poured the hot kettle of water into each cup and placed a glass jar of sugar cubes and a small glass canister of creamer matching the jar on the tray and strolled off with it into the living room.

I followed, smiling as she gestured the armchair beside her and she placed the tray down and prepared how I liked my tea.

Nana was my only family I've really known. Though, she wasn't blood, just a full time babysitter my parents picked off from an ad off the Daily Prophet. But, throughout the years she taken care of me, clothed me, and showed me from right to wrong, she was all I had.

We sipped our tea, with small talk.

"I've to be off to the bank soon," Nana said with a small grim look, "figure out some preparations."

"What preparations, Nana?"

"Oh, nothing serious. Make sure we add enough up for rent. Transfer the galleons your... Parents sent, into muggle money to pay for this crap hole--"

"Nana! The language..."

Nana chuckled and took another sip. "Its not a lie."

I laughed as well, "I better be off. I don't want to be late." I stood up, looking at the clock on the wall, "Probably ask Mr. Grook for more hours."

Nana smiled, but I could sense the worry radiating off her.

I had the same feeling. It was dark times, my boss would never give me enough hours, knowing people have been safely drinking in their homes than coming into the pub since the incidents.

Unexplained bombings and disasters overcame the cities and of course it was from You-Know-Who, but muggles did not know. So the streets have been less busy. The pub I worked at was less rowdy.

I stood from the arm chair and straightened up my clothes which was a simple black fitted shirt and ripped up gray jeans. I kissed my Nana goodbye on the cheek and strolled out the door, heading to the streets to my 1968 light blue Volkswagen beetle. I sat in the vehicle, hoping my starter wouldn't give me a crappy start. I shifted the gears and started to head to my job, The Black Boar.

(Author's Note):

So, I know. A bit of a slow start, but I don't start getting into the deep crazy stuff till some details are placed. Don't worry though, the next chapter will be much more... Exciting...? :) thank you for reading and if you like it so far, don't be afraid to push that vote button. Don't be afraid, give it a push. It likes it.