Chapter Twenty Four | Birthday Surprises

Author's Note:

Warning you now, it's a bit short, but for good reason. I feel the t continue the other good stuff in the next chapter. Read on!

* * * * *

I stacked books neatly in Horace's room, filing some parchments of student's essays on Drink of Despair and its affects and warnings. The classroom was empty, until Horace walked out of his office. "My dear Amelia, what are you doing? I told you to leave an hour ago!" He said as he trotted towards me.

"I couldn't leave my errands undone, Horace. I'm practically finished." I said as I hastily separated parchments.

"Merlin, it's your birthday! Take a break, relax for the day."

"It's... Only noon, sir. There's about three more classes--"

"And I could handle it myself, my dear. I've been a teacher long before you were born."

I looked down at the parchments and reluctantly stood away from it, uncertained. "Take the rest of the day off. I insist."

"Erm... Okay, Horace..." I said with a shy smile.

He clapped with a big smile and said, "I've got something for you too." He walked to his desk and I followed. He pulled out a wrapped up box with a big purple shiny bow on top. He handed it to me and I gasped, "Horace! You shouldn't have!"

"Yes, well... It wouldn't be right if I didn't." He said, "Open it up, I'd like to see your reaction."

I looked down at the gift; it was heavy and rectangular, I could guess well it was a book. I unwrapped the gift and Horace waved his wand and the wrappings flew to the trash near by. I was right, it was a book. But, a potions book! And it was a limited edition of The Alchemist's Kitchens; Extroadinary Potions and Curious Notions.

"My dear friend, Titiana Bermfrash is the author to the book. I pulled some strings and got the limited edition hardcover just for you. Only about two hundred copies made, mind you, and it's quite handy along with your passion for potions. And alchemy, no less! A whole different level on brewing concoctions!" Horace said with excitement and pride. I ran my fingers down the etched gold letter of the clean new purple book. It must have been four hundred pages in this thing and my temptation to open it up and read it was too much to handle.

"Oh, Horace, I love it!" I exclaimed, putting down the heavy book and throwing my arms around his neck, "Thank you so much!"

"Your welcome!" He hugged back and as we let go, he said, "Now run along! No doubt Charity wants to see you as well for your special day." After a long farewell, I left his dungeons and walked my way to Charity's office across the castle. As I got to her door, I knocked generously, clutching the alchemy book to my chest. There was no answer and I opened the door slowly, calling out her name.

"Charity?" I peeked in the dark room and assume no one was there. Before I decided to shut the door and leave, the light came on and confetti shot towards me, hitting me square in the face. I dropped my book and waved my arms around crazily, swatting the confetti away.

"Surprise!" I heard Charity, seeing her holding a bottle of wine and two glasses in the other. I spat a confetti out of my mouth and faked a smile. I stifled a laugh as I dusted off the confetti off my book and picked it up.