Chapter Five | Awkward Silences

The pain was almost numbing.

I sat in the middle of the bed, hugging my knees close to my chin. My tears were stained across my face, I sniffled with my stuffed nose. Its been an hour since I sat here and cried. Nana was gone.

I replayed the memory when she first took me in, how my parents hugged me goodbye and walked out the door.

How she served me hot cocoa when I cried.

How she would tucked me in every night.

How she read me the Tales of Beedle the Bard through rainy days.

How she scolded me for making potions.

How she congratulated me for my first job.

She was gone. And I didn't even say goodbye. I didn't even know how she died. Did she suffer? Did she go in peace? Will her soul rest? I shuddered at the fact. I wiped a new tear that rolled off the side of my cheek and buried my face in the pillow. I gazed at the clock beside the bed.

I watched as the big hand ticked to the twelve and the little hand ticked to the ten. I stared at the clock till my eyes went heavy and I fell into a deep sleep.

My eyes started to focus. I sat up in bed, in my own bed this time. Was this all just a dream? I stood from bed, my room was dark, the only thing with light was underneath the doorway. I saw shuffling outside. I walked toward the door and opened the door.

"Nana?" I called out, but as I opened the door wide open, the lights went out. The shadows were gone.

I hesitated. I looked around to find the switch, keeping my arms outstretched. I eventually found the lamp sitting in the livingroom and pulled the chain. No light.

The window swung open, I jumped at the sound as the window hit the walls. I ran to the window, grasping the windows as I tried to shut them. It was like a force, keeping them open.

Then a banging at the door. I spun around, pushing my backside against the window sill. I had no idea what was going on. The banging was harder, each time the pounding hit the door, the door seem it would fall off the hendges.