~Chapter 26~

I wipe my sweaty palms over my light blue jeans and try to calm myself down in front of the bathroom mirror. My brother and the guys are waiting for me outside in the hall so I can't stay here too long or they'll barge right in and see what's wrong. I can't let them do that though, this is an internal battle that I need to handle myself.

Today's the day Charles Hamer is going on trial and to say that I'm nervous would be an extreme understatement. I was told by Officer Peters to dress in something that I'd be comfortable with but the idea of wearing my usual skirts or dresses in front of the man who raped me so he can see the body he touched once more, didn't sit well with me. So this morning while getting ready, I decided to wear the most casual yet presentable outfit I could think of.

 So this morning while getting ready, I decided to wear the most casual yet presentable outfit I could think of

I'm hoping that when he sees me, he won't make any remarks about my outfit choice. It's not that I'm scared to wear my cute clothes anymore, it's just I'd rather not do it in front of him.

A knock on the bathroom door startles me a bit but I go towards it and lean my ear against it. "Yeah?" I call out waiting for someone to respond.

"Everything okay in there?" The sound of Donovan's voice makes me sigh in relief.

"Mhm I'm okay... j-just fixing my hair" I lie hoping that it sounded convincing. I hear him sigh on the other side and he knocks again. "I know you're lying Sophie. C'mon open the door" he says.

Fiddle sticks! Curse him and his ability to be so observant!

"O-okay" I answer and unlock the door for him. Donnie opens it just enough so he has room to slide in and shuts it once he's inside. I'm pulled into a much needed comforting hug and relax instantly in his arms.

After our talk yesterday, things between us got so much better. Sure, when we entered the house Jesse was not happy that I'd forgiven him so fast but once I told him that we're going to be just friends, he cooled down and accepted it. Nathan and Oliver were glad to hear that they didn't have to hide things from Donovan anymore and that hanging out would be less awkward now. For a moment last night, everything seemed happy for once.

That is until a phone call from Officer Winston reminded us of the trial that's being taken place in a couple of minutes.

"Tell me what's wrong Soph" he says in my ear. Donnie and I starting over as friends was probably the best decision I've ever made. Looking back on our relationship, I realized we jumped into it too soon and with everything that occurred during those disastrous three days of dating, it was destined to be a fail.

"I'm just worried about seeing him a-again. Last time I did, it gave me a panic attack and I don't want to end up in the hospital twice this week."

He pulls away from the hug but keeps his hands firmly on my shoulders. Those caramel eyes that are permanently engraved in my mind are staring at me with care. "I know it's gonna be hard being in the same room as him, trust me if I was able to go up and beat the shit out of him in front of everyone, I would. But we can't let him see how it's affected everything. How it's affected you. If you feel like you can't breathe in there give me a sign that you need to get out."