~Chapter 49~

It's been a couple days since we had everyone over for Christmas. In fact, it's actually December thirty-first so New Year's is in a few hours and our group made plans to spend it at Nathan's house.

Since his father gave him the okay, Nate was allowed to throw a party just so long as everything gets cleaned up by the following afternoon and that nothing gets broken.

So now, I find myself sitting on the edge of Crystal's bed as she and Lilly search through her closet for something that I could wear. Apparently none of my clothes were fitting enough for tonight's occasion.

"Okay what about this one?"

Holding up a short black sparkly dress, Lilly turns to me looking for an opinion but as soon as I saw what she picked, I was politely shaking my head with a guilty expression.

"Sparkles make my skin itch, sorry."

"Hmm, well I guess it can't be helped" she sighs whilst hanging the dress back on the closet rack. "Got any ideas Criss?"

Lilly and I watch in curiosity as our friend frantically goes through her clothing like her life depended on it, a determined gleam in her eye. Tossing a few things behind her without care and collecting others in her arms, Crystal walks over to her bed beside where I'm sitting and dumps the stuff on the mattress.

"Damn right I do" she triumphantly places her hands on her hips. "Here Soph, try these on and we'll see which one is best."

Hesitantly looking at the items Criss chose, I can already tell everything is out of my comfort zone. I mean, I think I saw a mini skirt in there and not the kind that flows nicely, this one was tight with barely any room for my thighs to squeeze into.

"Um... are you sure I can wear something like this to a party?"

"What are you talking about?" Criss questions a bit confused. "Of course you can but it's all just a matter of you wearing it and rocking it."

With a furrowed brow, I glance at Lilly for a further explanation. Noticing it right away she offers me a kind smile and moves to sit beside me on the bed, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"You don't have to wear anything you're not comfortable with, but what Crystal is trying to say, is that it doesn't matter what the clothes are or how revealing or how modest, because it's the person who wears them with confidence that makes everything else look amazing."

Snapping her fingers, Criss grabs our attention and points to me with a wide grin.

"Yes, exactly! Wear whatever the fuck you want and be confident with it, cause you're sexy either way. Be it a hoodie and sweats, a tight dress, a onesie, or a mini skirt, you're the one who makes the clothes look hot."

Sighing, I look down at the small pile of clothes and hesitantly grab the one that caught my eye first.

"Can I use your bathroom please?"

Nodding, Criss points over her shoulder at the door with her thumb. "Yeah go ahead, when you're done we'll do your makeup."

With that, I climb off the mattress and head into the little bathroom that connects to her bedroom, locking the door behind me and taking a second to collect my nerves. Resting the back of my head against the wooden surface of the door, I stare up at the ceiling and tell myself that my friends wouldn't have said those things if they weren't true, that they won't make fun of me if I wear this.

"C'mon Sophie, don't be ridiculous" I scold myself and get to undressing, putting my back to face the mirror so I don't have to look at my body whilst doing so.