eight

The raindrops on the window fell with a small patter. It was just enough to keep me alert to the sound. I was laying on my new bed in the darkness, looking out the window at the nothingness of the trees beside the building. 

It was currently 7:30 pm and I realised we had to leave soon to make it to the dorm meeting at 8. I didn't want to move. I was exhausted from unpacking and arranging everything in my room. After Harry and I had gone to get food we came back and unpacked it all in the correct places. Then, as Harry said, our things arrived at 3 pm. I had finished unpacking 4 hours later and had been laying on my bed for the past half an hour. I felt exhausted. I was so exhausted. 

Not just physically but emotionally. I didn't quite understand why, since I hadn't been too stressed today but I just felt overwhelmed by the suddenness of this all. 

Two weeks ago I thought everything in my life was going smoothly. I was ready to move on from "school" work and get my mother to teach me about the real world more. Little did I know I would end up at a real school and be living with a stranger for the next 4 years. If you think about it, it wasn't much different than a regular college living situation. If I lived in a regular dorm I would be with a complete stranger, except the only difference between me and other dorm members was my stranger was hired to stop gangs and cartel hitmen from killing me. 

Growing up I hadn't thought about it much because no one tried to come after us unless we were away from home. No one knew where we lived and that's how it was supposed to be. The only times we were fired at was when we were on vacation or further away from our home. Suddenly, I was knocked out of my mind when there was a knock at my door.

"Come in," I said lazily, not caring much about it. The door opened to reveal an unimpressed Harry.

"We should go to the meeting," he rasped and I looked at the clock. It was ten minutes to 8. Holy shit that time passed fast. I sat up and nodded.

"Can I get changed first?" I asked. He gave me a confused look and I probably gave him one back. Why did I ask him instead of just telling him?

"Uh sure," he mumbled before closing the door and I hopped off the bed. I went over to the drawers and pulled out some leggings and a hoodie. 

I slipped off all of my current clothing and threw on my leggings and hoodie, not bothering to put a shirt on. I slid on my vans before checking my hair in the mirror. I patted down the loose strands flailing at the top of my head before turning around to check the time. The clock said 8 pm. Why the fuck did time pass so quickly? 

I turned around and walked to the door. I opened the bedroom door and made my way to the front door where Harry was waiting for me. He opened the door, allowing me to exit first so he could lock the door behind us. When he had finished doing so, we made our way to the bottom floor. 

As soon as we came into view with everyone, over half of the girls turned their heads to look at us. Donna was talking to some staff members as girls sitting on the floor chatted away. I went to sit down at the very back, trying not to draw any attention to myself. Harry sat close behind me, leaning his back on the wall and his knees bent in front of him. 

I noticed the majority of the girls have now turned around, admiring Harry but at the same time looking confused as to why he was here. I noticed someone's presence beside me and I looked to my right to find a girl with light brown hair. She seemed shy and wanted to keep to herself but at the same time determined and ready for action. She noticed my eyes on her so she turned, her gaze meeting mine.

"Hi, I'm Hannah," she said politely with a big smile.

"Hi, I'm Lana," I answer her with a smile as well.