68. Stand Firm

It's me again God,

When I first woke this morning, for a few minutes, I actually forgot that I'm living in a world that at this moment in time seems to completely revolve around a virus! I forgot that I can't go shopping, because I'm one of the vulnerable ones. I forgot that I can't hug my loved ones and I forgot that there is no cure for this illness and thousands have already died!

As I opened my blinds for a glimpse of the new day, I remembered that I wouldn't be seeing the sunrise today as the forecast was for rain. Grey clouds covered the sky and I could see it had already been raining. Somehow the gloom of my view seemed to match the reality of the days in which I am living. However, as I took a deep breath, I remembered that just as the grey skies would pass, I could expect better days ahead where life would return to normal, not the 'new normal' they keep talking about! Nobody wants to live the rest of their lives, under the cloud of social distancing laws!

It's been weeks since this all began to impact the world in significant ways and now our daily routine is shaped by the need to obey all the current restrictions and listen for the latest news on the virus and it's impact around the world.  It's quite possible that we are more caught up in altering the way we live to remember that this attack is from the enemy! Hand sanitizer and social distancing is not enough to combat the one behind the virus! We need to stand strong in You and Your mighty power! This attack might appear to be on the flesh but it is in fact much more!

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭6:10-12‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Lord I can see how the devil would take delight in causing all of this chaos, fear, anxiety, loneliness, job losses, grief and economic hardship, let alone stopping Christians from meeting together to worship You! The ongoing effects on every single person on the planet are too numerous to think about but as Christians, we must be prepared —we must stand firm!

"Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people."
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭6:13-18‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Lord there is so much I need to remember to do to stand firm and see the cloud of Covid-19 finally lifted. Please help me each day to:

1. Be strong in You and rely on Your mighty power.
2. Put on my armour and leave it on!
3. Allow the truth of Your Word to encircle me like a belt.
4. Remember that because Jesus died on the cross, I am forgiven of all my sins and therefore I am covered with righteousness like a breastplate.
5. Take Your gospel of peace with me wherever I go, like shoes.
6. Know I am shielded by my faith in You, even as the enemy's fiery darts continue to come.
7. Remember that salvation protects my mind like a helmet. I am saved for all of eternity and nothing can change that!
8. Pick up my most effective weapon in this spiritual battle —Your Word! I will speak it in order to make the enemy retreat!
9. Pray in the Spirit, continually, no matter what is happening and remember to pray for all of Your children.

Lord I commit to serving in Your army today and know that because You raised Jesus from the dead, the victory has already been won!

In His Name,
Amen.