36. Rest

It's me again God,

I am always amazed at how much better everything feels after a good night of sleep. There's something so restorative about this important part of our well being but so often, it's part of my life which seems to be compromised. Whether I am reading or writing until late or perhaps disturbed for one reason or another, I am often counting the cost of sleep deprivation. I know it's not how You intended me to live as apart from medical or scientific advice, I have much evidence in Your Word that suggests my body and mind needs rest:

"The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭23:1-3‬ ‭NIV‬‬

This is such a firm and direct reference to rest! How special it is when I acknowledge You as my Shepherd and let You have Your way with me! Sometimes You are just saying I need to stop and rest a while. You want me to be serving You but sometimes the best way I can do this, is by resting a while. Just stopping like this allows You to refresh and restore me from the inside out! I am much more likely to veer off in the wrong direction when I get overtired! I so want to hear Your guiding voice and to walk on the paths You choose, so I will glorify Your Name through the way I live!

I am so blessed to know that when I do take time to rest,

"In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭4:8‬ ‭NIV‬‬

There is no need for me to fear! You are watching over me all the time, even as I am asleep because You don't sleep!

"He will not let your foot slip— he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you— the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm— he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭121:3-8‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I give You thanks for the rest I have had and for the strength and clarity of mind I now have. Let me serve You faithfully today until You bring me to this place of rest again.

"When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet."
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:24‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Thank You in advance for the precious, sweet sleep You will give me tonight because with You, there is no need for me to be afraid!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.