75. The Turnaround

It's me again God,

One of the things I find most fascinating about Your Word, is the prophecy recorded in the Old Testament. I often wonder what people living in the time of the prophet Isaiah must have thought as they heard him speaking again and again of the coming Messiah and how He would change things! It's amazing to think that Isaiah's prophecies lay unfulfilled for 700 years until You finally sent Your Son to earth! As I read Isaiah 61, I can see just how accurate they were, in speaking of the One who would turn everything around.

"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor."
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭61:1-3‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Thank You Jesus for the way You came with such purpose! At many times in history, the poor were marginalised and overlooked but Isaiah says that You were anointed to proclaim good news to the poor.  Of course we are all poor in the sense that we are impoverished by sin but everything changes when we allow You into our lives!

Right now in our world which is living through this unprecedented pandemic, many are broken hearted as they lose loved ones or just feel the loss of others whether it be their jobs, homes or their separation from loved ones. Jesus You came to bind up the broken hearted and so we can always look forward to Your comfort in every situation. Just as sure as the consequences of sin breaks hearts, we can be sure that right now, You heal hearts that are broken. Sin has changed the landscape of this world You created and we see it so clearly with the inception and spread of this virus!

As many are asked to remain in isolation or quarantine, they are like prisoners awaiting the moment of release! Even those who are still allowed the freedom of visiting local shops for essential purchases, they still feel captive, as their usual routine and day to day life is on hold indefinitely! Jesus, as I consider my heart before I knew You, I realise that I was a captive to the effects of sin. I was living in darkness, until I let You be Lord of my life. What an amazing difference it is to know my sins were all taken care of on the cross! Thank You so much Jesus for the freedom I live in!

"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."
‭‭John‬ ‭8:36‬ ‭NIV‬‬

It's clear from Isaiah's prophecy that You want us all to live lives that celebrate the freedom that is ours because You have turned everything around.  As believers, we live in the day of Your favour and need to remember that incredible fact every moment that we live, despite the prevailing circumstances.

Thank You Jesus for allowing us to receive this wonderful turn around —in place of the ashes of mourning, You give us beauty. Instead of being in a state of mourning, You give us the precious oil of joy! Instead of remaining under the spirit of heaviness, You have provided us with a garment of praise! So often we seem to choose to sit back in the ashes and remain miserable when Jesus, You have clearly given us such a wonderful gift! Please help us to keep check of our mindset, especially in these days of Covid-19 —we need to live in light of what You have already done!

Thank You so much for the righteousness that covers me because You have already dealt with my sin. I love the way Isaiah speaks of us as trees —oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord! When I think of oak trees, I think of strength and beauty, life and longevity.  This is my new life in You and there is more..... I live to display Your splendour! Lord I pray that today and every day, my life will bring glory to You!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.