Chapter Two: Artistic Measures

He wasn't what you would call the artistic turtle.

He stuck to his own lane, making and creating inventions in his own space. But at times, he would do something that others would tend to call an art form. He finished looking over his plans for the drill, sighing as it was still in beta. His brothers wanted him to work on it; though he had seemed so eager to before, he had to admit, he was kinda regretting it. The drill put so much stress on him, so he decided to put his mind to work on other things. As he headed over to his desk with his sharpies, he let a small smile appear on his face.

"I can at least do something that will satisfy me," he said to himself as he took one of the sharpies out of the cup. He walked over to one of his masks that was plain; no marking on it at all. Though he did like the subtle look; when he was younger, he just felt like something was missing. He found out what it was years later, drawing on most of his mask two identical eyebrows. He took off his current mask, replacing it with the plain mask that was formally in his hands. He pulled his desk mirror closer to him to see what he was doing and began to draw on the eyebrows. He wasn't even a minute in when he realized it didn't look right.

"Huh..." he questioned. "Something feels... off."

He tried again, struggling to get them to look right. This happened from time to time; some days he would get them to look just the way he wanted them, but on other days he tended to-

"Dang it," he huffed as he threw the marker down. "Smudged it."

He heard shuffling in his room, and when he turned around, he saw his box turtle brother approaching him.

"Hey Donnie," Mikey beamed. He then looked over to his brother's (very smudged) eyebrows. "Are your eyebrows ok?"

"They would be if I didn't smudge them," he said to his brother. "Do you need anything?"

The box turtle shook his head. "Nope, I just heard you grumbling, so I wanted to make sure you were ok." Mikey then began to smile; an idea forming into his head. "How about I do them for you? You know, help you out!"

The genius looked at his brother, then soon gave in. "Sure," he said as he grabbed another mask. "Knock yourself out."

Mikey ran with glee over to his brother, but instead of grabbing the sharpie, he grabbed a pencil. Donnie looked at his artistic brother and tilted his head in confusion.

"Uh, Mikey," he began to say. "You know, they won't show up as good with a pencil, hence why I use a sharpie."

"I know," Mikey responded. "This is what I do whenever I start a project. Cause if I mess up, I can erase it instead of getting a new piece of paper; or in this case, a new mask."

Donnie nodded his head in agreement. He put a mental note in his head to do that later and sat still as his younger brother went to work. Once he finished with the "sketch", he grabbed the sharpie to trace over it. When he finished, he waited for the marker to dry before he asked Donnie to take off the mask. Donnie did as he was told as Mikey erased the pencil marks. He gave the mask back to Donnie, and he stood back to admire his work; as he does with all of his former art pieces of art, and let Donnie look in the mirror to see. He smiled in amazement, though he never doubted his younger brother since he tended to be the family artist.

"Wow," he said as he stared into the mirror. He looked back at his younger brother and smiled. "They look great Mikey. Maybe I should let you do this more often."

Mikey smiled back at his purple genius brother. "I don't know," he said. "If you want me to do it all the time, I might have to make it a commission. So you might have to pay for it."

Donnie chuckled. "You wouldn't give me a family discount?"

"Depends," Mikey smiled. "You'd have to do something for me."

Donnie knew that Mikey was only kidding, but as he stared back into the mirror, he considered giving his brother money if he did want to do it more. But he decided that he would just ask his brother for tips about his eyebrows; and though he wasn't the artistic type, he certainly enjoys this art form.