Chapter Three: Stand Still and Wait

Leo was getting tired of waiting.

Sure, he’d do anything for his brother, but this was tiring. Mikey had wanted to paint a picture of him, and with his puppy eyes, Leo agreed. But everything comes with a price, and Leo had to stand still while doing it. Picking a pose that was pretty complicated, he became unbalanced as his artistic brother had only done a sketch of his face.

“How much longer?” he asked Mikey through gritted teeth. The slider didn’t want to be there all day; he planned to do other things.

“You got a while to go,” Mikey said as he looked up from his canvas. “I only sketched your face in. I told you to pick a different pose, but you wanted to look heroic, so that’s really your fault.”

Mikey turned his attention back to his canvas. He looked at his art and smiled, even though it was only the beginning. It would only get better from here, that is if Leo would stand still.

“Well can’t I just change poses now?” Leo asked. “Since you only got the face, I should be able to reposition myself, right?”

He got a head nod in response, and Leo never felt happier. He finally took a moment to breathe and stretch, popping his knuckles in the process. He picked a pose that was much easier to replicate, and easier to stand still with. He stood resting on his sword, waiting for Mikey to look up. Mikey looked up from his canvas and smiled at Leo.

“Glad you chose something relaxing,” he said. “You looked tense in the last pose.”

“Because I was,” Leo basically shouted. “You try being in that pose, my back was killing me!”

Mikey laughed as he began to sketch again. The brothers continued on small conversations; Leo making sure he didn’t move too much, and Mikey making sure he moved fast but steady so that his brother wouldn’t complain more. Once he finished the sketch, he did the line art so that he could begin to paint. Leo was beginning to get bored again, and Mikey only took his time on the line art. He didn’t want to mess up; it was one thing to mess up a sketch since he could just erase it, but he didn’t want to ruin his art with a careless stroke of the pen. He soon finished and told Leo that he could go rest. Before Leo left the room, he walked over to see the art before Mikey could splatter it in paint.

“Looking nice bro,” he praised. “Really brings out my good side!”

Mikey chuckled at his older brother. “Trust me, it’s only gonna get better once I put color on it.”

Leo walked out of the room with a smile. He left his younger brother to his work, happy with standing still for so long. Once Mikey was done, he called everyone into the living room to check out his art. They all complimented him; Leo being especially happy with the result.

“Looks amazing Mike,” Raph said with a smile. “I might have to ask you to do me next time!”

“Trust me Raph,” Leo replied with a smirk. “While having Mikey draw you is a great idea, you have to pick a pretty good pose. And expect a lot of standing, art can take a while.”

“What can I say,” said Mikey. “Art is a patient thing. In order for it to look good, you have to take your time, even if that means your back starts to ache in the process.”