Chapter Fourteen: Rainy Day

The lair was dark and quiet as rain poured on the outside. The city of New York still bustled as always, but it had a different atmosphere once the rain started. It wasn't a heavy rainfall, but it wasn't exactly a drizzle either. As the rain continued to drop down, there was someone who was enjoying it all the while. He always took walks in the rain, making sure to wear a poncho to not get too wet, but he took it off every so often to get the full experience. He smiled happily as he walked slowly; making sure to enjoy every moment. His happiness was soon interrupted by the grumbling of his purple masked twin.

"Why do we have to be out here?" Donnie groaned. "I'm starting to get cold, and I was working on the drill before you so brutally dragged me out here."

Leo looked at his brother and chuckled. "Look Donnie, we all know you weren't really working on that drill," he said with a smile. "That's things been in beta for like a year."

"It's only been a couple of months," Donnie said with his emotionless voice.

Leo laughed as he looked back out into the city they lived under. The rain poured onto his poncho, making small plopping noises as they trickled down the slick fabric. The twins had made their way up on top of a building, perched on the ledge while they stared into the horizon. The slider took off his poncho and enjoyed the rain, closing his eyes as it touched his skin.

"You should put your poncho back on," Donnie told him. "You gonna catch a cold, and I don't think you want the same thing to happen as last time."

Leo kept his eyes closed as he remembered what had happened when he last got sick. It hadn't been because of the rain, but it had been water-related. He had been in the pool (aka a clean ditch of freshwater in the sewers) for way too long and had come back home with a slight cold. Since Leo didn't really want to go to sleep; or tell anyone he was sick, he had stayed up in the living room playing on his switch. He had passed out on the couch; and since no one else was in the lair at the time, Donnie had found him slipping onto the floor. The purple brother was forced to take care of his twin, and though he did kind of enjoy it, his brother wasn't exactly the easiest to take care of. Leo would ask his brother for things every five minutes, making the genius run around to fill out his brother's needs.

"Ok, but you enjoyed taking care of me," Leo said as he opened his eyes and looked at Donnie. "Cause when I asked you, you didn't deny it."

"But I didn't confirm it either," Donnie replied. "I got no work done that day, which made me get put a day back in inventing."

"But you smiled when I woke up," Leo said. "So that means you were worried, right?"

"That can neither be confirmed nor denied," Donnie said as he looked back out into the city. "In any case, I'm sure you don't want to get sick again, so you should put your poncho back on."

"Come on, Don," Leo said as he nudged his brother with his elbow. "The rain feels great, and this only happens every once in a while."

"It rains like once a week," Donnie replied.

"My point being, you should enjoy it," Leo pointed to Donnie poncho. "Take your poncho off and feel the rain on your scales. It feels amazing, trust me."

Donnie looked down at his poncho, then back at his twin. He sighed as he pulled the poncho off of him, and he closed his eyes as he felt the rain on his scales. It felt cold at first; he shivered in response, but he soon began to let his body relax as he listened to the rain. Leo smiled at his brother as they sat in silence. Five minutes later, Donnie opened his eyes as Leo did the same.

"See," Leo grinned. "Wasn't that nice?"

"It did feel nice," Donnie said. "But I'm kinda cold now."

Leo chuckled lightly as he and Donnie put on their ponchos and headed back to the lair. Though Donnie didn't exactly know why Leo enjoyed the rain so much, Donnie found himself also enjoying it. He would tend to go on walks with Leo in the rain, and when he didn't feel like getting wet, he would turn on music with rain sounds and listen to it while he worked.