Chapter Forty-Four: Midnight Crisis

This hadn't gone the way he expected...

Mikey had gone out late at night to get some fresh air (and to get some kind of new ideas for his drawings, art block was a pain), and the night had gone normal for the first thirty minutes. He had walked into the alleyways of the city to make sure that he wasn't spotted by any humans.

Though if he thought about it, it's not like anyone would have cared anyway. Everyone in New York had either seen or heard of mutants already, so he could walk into the streets whenever he wanted to.

What the box turtle didn't anticipate was being ambushed by the Foot Clan.

It wasn't that many soldiers; he could have taken them all he was sure, but the Foot Lieutenant kept making more and more paper ninjas, and Mikey was only one turtle. He swung his weapon in attempts to shred most of them, but since more were coming to attack, it wasn't exactly an easy task.

The worst part was that he didn't even tell his brothers where he was.

He shouldn't even be out here right now. It was around midnight when he left, and who knows what time it was now. No one was awake at this time (well, maybe Leo was, but Mikey didn't feel like checking), and since the box turtle was so good at sneaking out no one had heard him when he left. He wasn't even sure that anybody would get up later; Raph and Splinter were such heavy sleepers that they probably wouldn't hear if someone was in danger. Leo and Donnie did stay up late some night, but Mikey had assumed that Donnie was sleeping since he didn't hear the sound of his tech whirling in the background.

Mikey was so deep into his thoughts that he didn't realize a foot soldier was coming up behind him. The paper ninja punched the box turtle and sent him to the ground, making Mikey grunt in response. He rubbed his shell as he tried to make the pain go away.

"That's gonna hurt later..." he whispered to himself. He looked up and his eyes went wide as he saw the number of ninjas that were around him.

He was surrounded... There was no way he could take them all.

Uh oh, he thought to himself. He could try and call his brothers, but there was no guarantee that they would pick up. There was also the fact that there were a number of paper ninjas around him, and he didn't know if they would try and stop his call.

Mikey looked around and saw the Foot Lieutenant and Brute not too far away from him, and they appeared to be smiling. The Lieutenant made a couple more ninjas before leaving with his partner.

"What about the kid?" the Brute asked.

"Leave him," the Lieutenant answered. "The ninjas can handle him."

Mikey watched as they slowly got out of view, and he stared back at his problem. Fear started to rise up in him as the paper ninjas waited for his next move.

He was trapped.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As he walked into the kitchen, he stifled a yawn as he went to start up the coffee maker.

He hadn't been up for that long, he only woke up a couple of minutes ago. Donnie planned to spend the rest of the morning working. S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N needed a new upgrade, and he might as well work on his other pieces of tech while he was at it. He looked at the clock as he drank his coffee, seeing that it read 3:23 a.m.

He was surprised that Leo wasn't up right now. The slider normally had problems dealing with his insomnia, and Donnie would find him in the living room watching a movie in hopes of falling back asleep.

Donnie took his mug and walked back into the lab, stopping outside of Mikey's room.

Huh... He didn't see Mikey lurking around the lair when he got his coffee.