Chapter 4: First Contact

The sun was coming up from the horizon. I could see the endless black void turn into a sparkling ocean. The sunrise was beautiful as it appeared over the horizon. This was something I always looked forward to every morning since it showed the end of my night shift at the light tower. I got up from my chair looking out towards the sea and went over the big fire in the center of the tower. I grabbed a huge metal pot and put it over the fire. I removed it once I saw the smoke billowing from the bottom of the pan.

As I set aside the pan, I gathered my things and prepared to climb down the tower, however I was thrown off by something in the distance. Usually, I wouldn't be one for caution, but I became attracted to the strange ship in the distance.

Although I am technically the lord's troop, I am not really that dedicated. I really don't want to deal with this after the night shift. However, something was nagging at me. So I looked at the object in the distance.

It was unusual since ships would normally not be that far out. We fill most of our port with village ships from villages along the Astra Coastline. But that thing doesn't look like it came from Astra. It doesn't even look like a ship I have ever laid my eyes on.

There were three ships proceeding towards the port. As they got closer fast, I worried a bit. I looked closer and saw a ship leading the formation, which was white and orange. It had a single gun mounted on the front. The other ship looked similar, but was in a strange grey color. The other ship was bigger, but it had no gun at all. It seemed like a cargo ship, if I have ever seen one like that.

They didn't have sails, nor did they look like any conventional ship I have seen before. It truly was a bizarre sight. But wait, what should I do? They never told me anything about this. Only me and my two buddies were in the tower. What if this is an invasion?

Wait, even that is weird. I haven't seen ships from other places coming from over the horizon. Should I just wait?

As I was thinking this, I heard footsteps from behind me; it was Connor.

"Looks like a fine morning to me, Jason. What are you doing?"

I looked at him wearing his dirty white shirt and leather pants. It looked like he just woke up.

"Connor, come look. There are some strange ships on the horizon."

"Hmm, they don't look too far out now. Huh? Those don't look like ships to me, Jason. What the heck are those things?"

"Beats me. Say, do you know what were supposed to do in this situation?"

Connor gave a short thought. But he also didn't know.

"Lets just ask the big guy down there, he's the most knowledgeable."

Connor shrugged towards the stairway. If I remember correctly, he has done this job longer than both of us combined. Leo will probably know what to do.

I went down the staircase. Connor stayed behind to curiously look at the strange ships in the distance. I could smell a slight stench of sweat as I went below the tower. I caught sight of Leo at the table, pulling apart some weeds and flowers.

"Leo, what the heck are you doing?"

"Haven't you heard? It turns out that some weeds and flowers are edible. Food prices went up again. I can't afford to get the black bread in the market, you know."

"Honestly..."

He is pretty weird, but he is quite knowledgeable about his background. Learning to read and write out of curiosity and hard work, he is the smartest one out of all of us. Although I think there were many unhappy entry guards in his wake. I still see him as weird, but he is pretty smart for someone three years younger than me. I look on as Leo is separating some grass and flowers from the dirt. He noticed me staring at him.