Chapter 16: The Siege Tower

The town of cultivation was situated on a somewhat flat plain with crops and grass surrounding the town. A single dirt road entered the west side of the town through their now closed metal gates. The town was massive, boasting a total population of around 100 thousand people. The town was packed with famous guilds. But the most notable thing about this town was its church of cultivation.

This church serves as both a school for Mana users and a point of worship for most of the town. It is the churches belief that humans are endowed the ability to bring out the best of themselves through dedication and work. That hard work and dedication will one day give salvation to many if they dedicate their lives to it. However, they find that those who are not dedicating their lives to their craft to be sinful.

However, their belief is not the part which everyone knows them for. It's the fact that they can output experienced Mana users every year. Their education and dedication has allowed the church of cultivation to teach and educate hundreds of Mana users throughout the years.

However, decades of dedication to their craft may now end. Outside this grand town of cultivation lies a huge army from the western region. Thousands of knights, squires, and mercenaries are all preparing to siege the town. The defending side has been battered for the past couple of days from arrows and a couple of attempts to take the walls.

However, today the forces were adamant on pushing onto the western walls of the town. Along side the ladders which were used previously, the western forces erected a huge siege tower to latch onto the walls to let their forces storm the walls. The defenders were finally panicking after witnessing such a tower.

"Captain!" One of the guards on the wall was running towards the western wall's captain.

"They built a damn siege tower! We need help from the church of cultivation immediately!" The guard was clearly shaken about the situation, however looking at the person behind him, he was shocked.

"Captain this is...."

"This is sir Raphael who is adept at using fire in combat." The captain introduced the man in dark robes. The man gave a slight nod.

The guard had a clear look on his face reading "That's it?" It was clear to the captain, but not the Mana user.

The main reason that the western region was attacking the town was because they were aiming for the church of cultivation. And yet despite all the losses so far, they only send one Mana user? Furthermore, this man didn't look that old. Meaning he was either a prodigy or an inexperienced user.

The captain could feel the guard's skepticism.

"We just need to burn down that siege tower right? He will do the job. Now just make sure he doesn't take any arrows from the western region's forces." The captain walked to another portion of the wall while leaving Sir Raphael with the guard. He led Sir Raphael to the top of the wall where they could clearly see the approaching siege tower.

The massive structure was being pushed by various men clothed in metal, chain, or leather with shields on their back. Somehow this massive siege tower was moving without falling from its own weight. The wooden structure gave upmost protection for those inside. At least more than just the ladders.

The many days before, the defenders of the town had various cauldrons of boiling water to douse the attackers in. It worked well in the first wave. However, doing that again won't work this time for this siege tower.

"Don't worry, I will have that tower down in no time." Sir Raphael gave reassuring words to the guard, however the guard was still not fully convinced. Then it happened.